North Korean leader names son as successor: ReportJanuary 15th, 2009 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, Jan 15 (RIA Novosti) North Korean leader Kim Jong-il has tapped his third son to be his successor and sent his nomination to the leadership of the ruling party, according to reports Thursday.The ailing communist leader “delivered a directive around Jan 8 that he has named (Kim) Jong-un as his successor to the leadership of the Workers’ Party,” South Korean news agency Yonhap quoted a well-informed source as saying.
US and South Korean intelligence have reported that Kim, 67, suffered a stroke last summer and underwent surgery, raising speculation as to who would take over the isolated communist state, the subject of international concern over its nuclear programme.
Kim Jong-un, now 25, was born to Kim Jong-il’s third wife Ko Yong-hi, who died of breast cancer at the age of 51 in 2004. According to the report, the youngest of Kim’s three sons, Jong-un was educated at the International School of Berne and is a fan of NBA basketball.
According to the news agency, Jong-un’s nomination was completely unexpected in North Korea, even among the Worker’s Party leadership, and was most likely driven by Kim Jong-il’s rapidly deteriorating health.
North Korea has vehemently denied reports of Kim’s illness.
- Kim Jong-un declared North Korea's supreme military commander - Dec 31, 2011
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il dead, youngest son takes over (Third Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- South Koreans send anti-regime leaflets to North in balloons - Dec 22, 2011
- Kim Jong-un gets married: North Korean TV - Jul 25, 2012
- Kim Jong-il unanimously reappointed North Korean leader - Sep 28, 2010
- Seoul hopes tensions between Koreas will ease - Jan 02, 2012
- North Korea confirms mystery woman is leader's wife - Jul 26, 2012
- North Korea's Kim Jong-un promoted to top military rank - Jul 18, 2012
- Kim Jong Un appointed North Korea's top military commander - Jan 01, 2012
- North Korea's top leader Kim Jong-il is dead (Second Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il dies of heart attack - Dec 19, 2011
- Dead North Korean leader's son 'great successor': Media - Dec 19, 2011
- Kim Jong-il likely to announce youngest son as political heir on September 28 - Sep 21, 2010
- North Korea marks army's 80th anniversary - Apr 25, 2012
- North Korea confirms Kim Jong-un is married (Lead, changing dateline) - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: 15 ria, berne, breast cancer, communist leader, communist state, international concern, kim jong il, korean leader, nba basketball, news agency, nomination, north korea, north korean leader kim jong il, party leadership, ria novosti, ruling party, seoul, south korean news, speculation, workers party