North Korea threatens South with ‘military countermeasures’

April 3rd, 2008 - 7:37 pm ICT by admin  

Pyongyang, April 3 (Xinhua) North Korea Thursday said it would take “military countermeasures” against the South if the latter threatens its security, official news agency KCNA reported. The notice, sent by the head of the North Korea’s delegation to the military level talks to his South Korean counterpart, was in response to Seoul’s statement Wednesday asking Pyongyang to stop provocative tactics.

“Its reply notice was nothing but an excuse” and Pyongyang “would take prompt, corresponding military countermeasures from the already clarified principled stand of the KPA (Korean People’s Army)”, KCNA quoted the notice as saying.

The notice did not specify the “military countermeasures” but said Seoul should take the responsibility for eventual suspension of dialogue and official contacts and banning of across-the-border movement.

On March 29, North Korea threatened to withdraw from talks with South Korea over comments a South Korean military official made about a possible pre-emptive strike against it.

Relations between Pyongyang and Seoul had been strained after South Korea’s new president, Lee Myung-bak, pledged to review rapprochement projects pushed by his two predecessors.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |