North Korea suffers World Cup setbackJune 6th, 2009 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
Pyongyang, June 6 (DPA) North Korean aspirations of qualifying for the 2010 World Cup finals suffered a set-back Saturday as they were held to a goalless draw by Iran in an Asian Group 2 match played here.
Although the North Koreans managed to pull level at the top of the group with South Korea who are also on 11 points, North Korea has played two games more and has just an away fixture at third-placed Saudi Arabia remaining.
South Korea could move three points clear later Saturday with a victory at the United Arab Emirates.
The home side dominated most of the game, but Iranian goalkeeper Seyed Rahmati pulled off a number of spectacular saves to deny Hong Yong-Jo and Pak Nam-Chol.
The draw keep Iran in the hunt for one of the top three places in fourth place on seven points.
The top two teams from both groups qualify automatically for next year’s finals in South Africa, while the third-placed teams play-off against each other, with the winner of that tie facing New Zealand in a play-off for a place at the finals.
- Japan first to qualify for World Cup - Jun 07, 2009
- Japan, Australia, South Korea through to 2010 World Cup (Asian Roundup) - Jun 07, 2009
- Japan, Australia, South Korea qualify for World Cup (Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- Draw for 2014 FIFA World Cup Asian qualifiers final round - Mar 09, 2012
- North Korea threatens to re-examine n-issue - Jul 21, 2012
- Asian Games hockey: Indian women lose to China 1-2 - Nov 22, 2010
- North Korea's Kim Jong-un promoted to top military rank - Jul 18, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan stay on course as archers, shooters bow out (Overall Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan, Vijender add lustre to India's campaign (Intro Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan, Vijender add shine to India's campaign (Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- AFC Challenge Cup: India end campaign with 0-4 loss to North Korea - Mar 13, 2012
- Portugal need victory against tough North Koreans - Jun 20, 2010
- Iran to play UAE in football friendly - Apr 05, 2012
- Iran coach sees hope despite Pyongyang stalemate - Jun 07, 2009
- North Korea out to shock world again (Group G team profile) - Jun 01, 2010
Tags: asian group, aspirations, dpa, game, goalkeeper, iran, new zealand, north korea, north koreans, pak nam, pyongyang, saudi arabia, setback, seven points, south africa, south korea, two games, united arab emirates, victory, world cup finals