North Korea says it will build more nuclear weaponsJune 13th, 2009 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, June 13 (DPA) North Korea said Saturday that it would build more nuclear weapons in reaction to the United Nations Security Council resolution condemning its most recent nuclear test.
It also said it would respond militarily to any attempt by the US and other countries to isolate it or impose a “blockade”, according to a statement from the foreign ministry reported by the official Korean Central News Agency.
It said that the enrichment of uranium for weapons was progressing.
South Korea’s foreign ministry welcomed Friday’s Security Council resolution on Pyongyang, saying that the resolution reflected the “common and decisive will” of the Security Council to eliminate North Korea’s nuclear activities and halt the spread of weapons of mass destruction.
The government called on North Korea to accept this “clear and unambiguous” message from the international community.
The UN Security Council resolution was a reaction to North Korea’s second atomic test, which took place May 25.
Resolution 1874 will expand the sanctions that were imposed in 2006 after North Korea’s first nuclear test.
- US, S.Korea plan to discuss N.Korea's nuke programme - Mar 02, 2011
- `North Koreans to try next missile launch in 2-3 years' - Apr 13, 2012
- G-8 urges North Korea to cancel rocket launch - Apr 13, 2012
- South Korea calls North Korea's 'nuclear fusion' claim bluff - May 12, 2010
- South Korea puts new cruise missile into service - Apr 19, 2012
- North Korea rocket launch fails (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- North Korea launches long-range rocket: reports (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- 'North Korea may conduct 3rd nuke test in 2011' - Dec 24, 2010
- China urges dialogue after North Korean satellite launch - Apr 17, 2012
- US suspends food aid to North Korea - Mar 29, 2012
- US welcomes North Korean invitation to n-experts - Mar 20, 2012
- India concerned at North Korea's rocket launch attempt - Apr 13, 2012
- North Korea's satellite plan provocative: US - Mar 16, 2012
- North Korea vows to go ahead with space programme - Apr 18, 2012
- North Korea to enhance nuclear deterrence - Jun 28, 2010
Tags: atomic test, blockade, central news agency, enrichment of uranium, foreign ministry, korean central news, korean central news agency, nations security council, north korea, nuclear activities, nuclear test, nuclear weapons, pyongyang, security council resolution, seoul, south korea, un security council, united nations security, united nations security council, weapons of mass destruction