North Korea executed three cannibalsMay 11th, 2012 - 4:07 am ICT by IANS
Pyongyang, May 11 (IANS/RIA Novosti) North Korea held at least three public executions of people charged with cannibalism in the last few years, Yonhap news agency reported Thursday.
Some North Koreans ate and sold human flesh during the massive famine in the late 1990s, which according to various estimates resulted in some two million deaths, the agency quoted information from the Korea Institute for National Unification as revealing.
The institute said in a paper, citing an unidentified defector, that in December of 2009 a man was publicly executed in the North Korean city of Hyesan for killing a girl and eating her flesh.
In 2006, a father and his son were also shot dead in the Doksong town after they were found guilty of cannibalism.
The institute also reported an account of cannibalism in the northeastern town of Musan in 2011, but did not say whether any punishment followed.
- Three executed for cannibalism in North Korea - May 21, 2012
- North Korea threatens to re-examine n-issue - Jul 21, 2012
- North Korea executes official over currency reform - Mar 18, 2010
- Seoul hopes tensions between Koreas will ease - Jan 02, 2012
- North Korea threatens to 'blow up' Seoul - Apr 20, 2012
- South Koreans send anti-regime leaflets to North in balloons - Dec 22, 2011
- North Korea threatens to bury enemies at sea - Apr 05, 2012
- Japan warns of crashing down North Korean satellite - Mar 18, 2012
- UN proposes $200 mn aid for North Korea - Jun 13, 2012
- Kim Jong-un declared North Korea's supreme military commander - Dec 31, 2011
- North Korea seeks food aid from Britain - Apr 03, 2011
- Kim Jong-il to visit Russia - Jun 28, 2011
- 169 killed in North Korea floods - Aug 06, 2012
- Kim Jong-un gets married: North Korean TV - Jul 25, 2012
- Kim Jong-il begins Russia visit - Aug 21, 2011
Tags: 1990s, cannibalism, cannibals, deaths, defector, estimates, famine, human flesh, korea institute, korean city, musan, national unification, news agency, north korea, north koreans, northeastern town, public executions, pyongyang, ria novosti, two million