North Korea derailed world’s nuclear disarmament efforts: BanJune 12th, 2009 - 4:55 am ICT by IANS
New York, June 12 (DPA) UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon Thursday criticised North Korea for pursuing its nuclear ambitions and hampering the global campaign for nuclear disarmament.
Ban, a former South Korean foreign minister, said the nuclear test conducted by North Korea in May and subsequent launches of ballistic missiles ran counter to disarmament.
“It hampers the efforts of the international community, the US and Russia, which have started their nuclear disarmament,” Ban said.
The US and Russia have begun a new round of talks towards a fresh agreement, replacing the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty adopted by the Soviet Union and the US during the Cold War.
“All the actions taken by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea run counter to, not only UN Security Council resolutions, but also the ongoing international community’s efforts (at disarmament),” Ban said.
The 15-nation council is discussing a new resolution containing tougher measures aimed at stopping Pyongyang’s imports of weapons, military equipment and nuclear technology and its exports of arms and nuclear products to other countries.
The council’s five permanent members - the US, Russia, France, Britain and China - have agreed on interdictions of cargo, being transported by sea or air, suspected to be carrying prohibited weapons and nuclear materials to and from North Korea.
The council has not decided when it would vote on the draft resolution worked out by the five permanent members plus Japan and South Korea.
- Obama extends sanctions on North Korea - Jun 24, 2011
- Russia opposes new sanctions against North Korea - Apr 13, 2012
- UNSC meets on North Korea's satellite launch - Apr 13, 2012
- US concludes 'constructive' talks with North Korea - Jul 30, 2011
- North Korea rocket launch fails (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- UNSC deplores North Korea's satellite launch (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- North Korea vows to go ahead with space programme - Apr 18, 2012
- US confronts China over North Korean rocket launcher - Apr 24, 2012
- UNSC condemns North Korean rocket launch - Apr 17, 2012
- G-8 urges North Korea to cancel rocket launch - Apr 13, 2012
- US welcomes North Korean invitation to n-experts - Mar 20, 2012
- North Korea launches long-range rocket: reports (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- North Korea has no plans for n-test: Official - Jun 10, 2012
- China refutes delivering missile launchers to North Korea - Jun 13, 2012
- `North Koreans to try next missile launch in 2-3 years' - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: ballistic missiles, ban ki moon, campaign for nuclear disarmament, disarmament efforts, draft resolution, global campaign, nation council, new resolution, north korea, nuclear ambitions, nuclear materials, nuclear products, nuclear technology, nuclear test, republic of korea, s republic of korea, security council resolutions, un secretary general, un security council, un security council resolutions