North Korea confirms seizing South Korean boatAugust 19th, 2010 - 3:42 pm ICT by IANS
Pyongyang, Aug 19 (IANS) North Korea confirmed Thursday, 11 days after a South Korean boat with seven people on board had gone missing, that it had seized the fishing trawler.
According to a report of the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), the boat, with four South Koreans and three Chinese aboard, was intercepted by the North Korean navy Aug 8 when it was engaged in a fishing operation in the economic waters of the communist country, Xinhua said.
“In their testimonies they confessed that they intruded into the economic waters of North Korea,” the report said, adding that an investigation is underway.
The 41-tonne ‘Daeseung 55′ was detained by North Korean authorities in waters off its east coast.
The incident happened as Seoul was holding massive naval exercises in waters west of the divided Korean Peninsula.
South Korea called on its neighbour to follow international law and release the fishermen and their boat.
- North Korea confirms seizing S. Korean fishing boat - Aug 19, 2010
- No response from N. Korea on S. Korea's request to release fishing boat - Aug 09, 2010
- North Korea warns Seoul over military drill - Feb 19, 2012
- North Korea to release South Korean boat, crew - Sep 06, 2010
- S.Korea begins Yellow Sea anti-submarine drills, cocks a snook on N.Korea - Aug 05, 2010
- Chinese fishermen detained in Sri Lanka released - Aug 07, 2012
- Pyongyang condemns South Korea-US military drill - Aug 19, 2012
- North Korea threatens to re-examine n-issue - Jul 21, 2012
- North warns South Korea not to ponder over "catastrophic consequences" - Dec 05, 2010
- At least 2 missing after South Korean patrol ship sinks - Nov 11, 2010
- North Korea rocket launch fails (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- North Korea to invite foreign experts for satellite launch - Mar 18, 2012
- Flood-hit North Korea seeks help from South Korea - Sep 07, 2010
- South Korean vessel towed by North Korea (Lead) - Jul 30, 2009
- China welcomes proposed 'inter-Korean military talks' - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,