North Korea bids farewell to Kim Jong-ilDecember 28th, 2011 - 3:06 pm ICT by IANS
Pyongyang, Dec 28 (IANS) North Korea Wednesday bid a tearful farewell to the country’s late leader Kim Jong-il as his body was taken from the Kumsusan Memorial Palace where it has been lying in state to the city’s main plaza.
The ceremony to bid the last farewell to Kim Jong-il began at the plaza of the Kumsusan Memorial Palace where his body has been lying in state, the official KCNA news agency reported.
The procession was expected to head to the city’s main plaza.
TV footage also showed columns of troops standing in the snow on the plaza as a limousine carrying a huge portrait of the late leader moved slowly, reported Xinhua.
People wept as the motorcade passed them by.
The KCNA later reported that the motorcade of the hearse entered the Ryonghung intersection of Pyongyang and people lined up along the 40-km-long route.
Kim Jong-il died from “great mental and physical strain” Dec 17 on a train.
Kim’s son Kim Jong-un, who is thought to be in his late 20s, is expected to take over as head of state.
TV footage showed Kim Jong-un walking beside the hearse.
Tens of thousands of soldiers with their heads bowed stood solemnly as a giant portrait of the departed Kim was carried slowly through the streets, said BBC.
- Kim Jong Un appointed North Korea's top military commander - Jan 01, 2012
- Kim Jong-il to be embalmed - Jan 12, 2012
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il dies of heart attack - Dec 19, 2011
- Kim Jong-un declared North Korea's supreme military commander - Dec 31, 2011
- UN flag at half mast to mourn Kim Jong Il - Dec 29, 2011
- Dead North Korean leader's son 'great successor': Media - Dec 19, 2011
- Kim Jong-un gets married: North Korean TV - Jul 25, 2012
- North Korea's Kim Jong-un promoted to top military rank - Jul 18, 2012
- North Korea confirms mystery woman is leader's wife - Jul 26, 2012
- Kim's death rocks South Korea's financial market - Dec 19, 2011
- Kim Jong-un elected chairman of National Defence Commission - Apr 13, 2012
- North Korea mourns Kim Jong-il - Dec 29, 2011
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il dead, youngest son takes over (Third Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- North Korean succession is stable: South Korea, US - Dec 30, 2011
- South Koreans send anti-regime leaflets to North in balloons - Dec 22, 2011
Tags: bbc, head of state, hearse, intersection, kcna, kim jong il, last farewell, late leader, limousine, lying in state, motorcade, news agency, north korea, physical strain, procession, pyongyang, state tv, tearful farewell, tv footage, xinhua