North Korea a threat to international peace: ObamaMay 25th, 2009 - 2:29 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 25 (DPA) US President Barack Obama Monday condemned North Korea as a “threat to international peace and security”, after the regime in Pyongyang announced it had conducted a new nuclear test.
The reclusive regime was also said to have test-fired a short-range missile.
The White House put out an immediate statement from Obama in which he called the country’s actions “a matter of grave concern to all nations”.
Obama said: “North Korea’s attempts to develop nuclear weapons, as well as its ballistic missile program, constitute a threat to international peace and security.
“By acting in blatant defiance of the United Nations Security Council, North Korea is directly and recklessly challenging the international community.
“North Korea’s behaviour increases tensions and undermines stability in Northeast Asia. Such provocations will only serve to deepen North Korea’s isolation. It will not find international acceptance unless it abandons its pursuit of weapons of mass destruction and their means of delivery.
“The danger posed by North Korea’s threatening activities warrants action by the international community. We have been and will continue working with our allies and partners in the Six-Party Talks as well as other members of the UN Security Council in the days ahead.”
Obama added that the announcement of the test and the reports of the missile launch “were not a surprise, given its actions and statements to date”.
The state-run KCNA new agency in North Korea said Monday’s test was more powerful than the previous one, conducted in October 2006.
- US applauds North Korea's statement about no n-test - Jun 12, 2012
- Obama extends sanctions on North Korea - Jun 24, 2011
- North Korea has no plans for n-test: Official - Jun 10, 2012
- India concerned at North Korea's rocket launch attempt - Apr 13, 2012
- North Korea test-fires short-range missile - Jun 08, 2011
- North Korea prepares for underground nuclear test - Apr 08, 2012
- North Korea's satellite plan provocative: US - Mar 16, 2012
- North Korea rocket launch fails (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- Obama wants North Korea to drop rocket launch (Lead) - Mar 25, 2012
- World must act quickly on North Korea: Obama - May 26, 2009
- North Korea vows to go ahead with space programme - Apr 18, 2012
- Kim's death: Will India-North Korea ties improve? - Dec 19, 2011
- US concludes 'constructive' talks with North Korea - Jul 30, 2011
- US hints at renewing nuke talks if 'right signals' emanated from North Korea - Jan 15, 2011
- North Korea launches long-range rocket: reports (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: ballistic missile program, barack obama, blatant defiance, grave concern, international acceptance, international peace, members of the un security council, missile launch, nations security council, north korea, northeast asia, nuclear test, nuclear weapons, provocations, pyongyang, range missile, un security council, united nations security, united nations security council, weapons of mass destruction