North and South Korea exchange fireAugust 10th, 2011 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, Aug 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Artillery shells fired from North Korea Wednesday landed near the disputed sea border with South Korea. In response, South Korea’s military also fired artillery shells towards the North, Yonhap news agency reported.
A South Korean defence ministry official said the rounds fired by North Korea landed off the Yeonpyeong Island. There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.
South Korea’s YTN TV said the incident was provoked by military exercises being held by North Korea near the volatile Yellow Sea border.
North Korea had shelled Yeonpyeong in November last year, killing four people, just a few months after the sinking of a South Korean warship.
The two countries, who technically remain at war following the 1950-53 Korean War, have agreed to return to six-party talks aimed at ending North Korea’s nuclear programme.
- North Korea threatens war over US-South Korea drills - Feb 25, 2012
- Seoul hopes tensions between Koreas will ease - Jan 02, 2012
- North Korea fires artillery shells near maritime border - Aug 09, 2010
- S. Korea starts naval firing drills amid rising tension with North - Dec 06, 2010
- N. Korea bombs S.Korea's Yeonpyeong border island - Nov 23, 2010
- India, France urge Korea to comply with UNSC and IAEA BoG resolutions - Dec 06, 2010
- S. Korean defence minister resigns over slow response to N. Korean shelling of island - Nov 26, 2010
- South says North Korea ready to carry out nuclear test - Apr 24, 2012
- S. Korea hold new massive army, air force drills in show of force against N. Korea - Dec 23, 2010
- North Korea restarts firing artillery shells in Yellow Sea - Jan 28, 2010
- South Korea lifts temporary travel ban to North - Jan 04, 2012
- Kim's son behind attack on South Korea to 'mobilise military and consolidate his power' - Nov 24, 2010
- US, South Korea military exercise to snub North Korea - Jun 02, 2010
- S.Korea says will continue live-fire drill off coast next week - Dec 12, 2010
- S. Korea drops demand for N. Korea apology - Jan 29, 2011
Tags: artillery shells, defence ministry, exchange fire, korean war, military exercises, ministry official, north korea, ria novosti, sea border, seoul, six party talks, south korea, yellow sea, yonhap news agency, ytn