‘Noisy’ Brit army bands ordered to wear earplugs to meet safety rulesSeptember 28th, 2010 - 3:17 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 28 (ANI): Army bandsmen in Britain have been asked to wear earplugs when they perform over health and safety concerns-but they are not liking as it makes them play out of tune and out of time.
All 1,100-soldier musicians have been ordered to yellow foam “ear defenders” to protect their hearing from the noise made by their bands.
However, angry bandsmen have said after wearing the earplug they can’t hear the music properly.
“You can hardly hear yourself let alone the rest of the band. It’s like listening to music underwater. Army music will be ruined for the sake of ’safety’ rules,” the Sun quoted a bandsman as saying.
The ruling applies to all members of Corps of Army Music and could see those attending the annual Trooping the Colour parade wearing the plugs.
A source added: “Many lads have been in Afghanistan where they cope with shattering explosions by sticking their fingers in their ears. If we have to turn up at a parade with little yellow earplugs, we’re going to be a laughing stock.”
The MoD said it enforced the rule “to protect musicians from noise-induced hearing loss”. (ANI)
- Listening to iPod at full volume can damage hearing - Jun 15, 2012
- Louis Tomlinson going deaf in one ear - Aug 01, 2012
- Young music fans with 'iPod-itis' at greater risk of going deaf - Feb 12, 2011
- Gwyneth Paltrow says best solution to tantrums is to use earplugs! - Apr 30, 2010
- Potential drug treatment for noise-induced hearing loss - Jul 01, 2010
- Martin suffers from ear trouble - May 06, 2012
- Agra doctor gives new hope to the hearing impaired - Aug 24, 2012
- Rock concerns lead to impaired hearing? - May 23, 2012
- Why some people can block out noise during sleep - Aug 10, 2010
- Listening to MP3 can cause deafness - Jun 22, 2010
- Music may damage hearing - Apr 22, 2010
- The ear-shattering secret weapon 'Vuvuzela' that can turn WC soccer fans deaf - Jun 04, 2010
- With 'Vuvuzelas' back, fans queue up for earplugs - Jun 11, 2010
- Two new Indian tunes at Beating Retreat this year - Jan 27, 2011
- Ear's stress-response system protects against hearing loss - May 04, 2010
Tags: afghanistan, army bands, bandsmen, corps of army music, ear defenders, earplug, ears, explosions, fingers, health and safety, lads, laughing stock, listening to music, musicians, noise induced hearing loss, safety concerns, safety rules, sake, soldier, trooping the colour