Nobel winners want Obama to attend Hiroshima summitAugust 27th, 2010 - 1:40 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 27 (DPA) A group of Nobel Peace laureates have written a letter to US President Barack Obama asking him to deliver the keynote address at a November summit in Hiroshima.
The five Nobel winners, including former Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev, said the Nov 12 Hiroshima summit would be a fitting venue for Obama to promote his agenda for a world free of nuclear weapons.
“There could not be a better venue for such a speech than Hiroshima - nor, perhaps, a more fitting forum than one presented by fellow Nobel Peace laureates,” said the letter, posted on their website earlier this month.
Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009, and is expected to be in Yokohama, Japan, for the November 13-14 Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation summit.
No sitting US president has ever visited Hiroshima. Hiroshima was the first site ever to be attacked with a nuclear weapon, when, Aug 6, 1945, a US plane dropped the bomb on the city to force Japan’s surrender in World War II. More than 140,000 people died.
In addition to Gorbachev, the letter was signed by former South African president Federick W De Klerk, Poland’s Lech Walesa, East Timor President Jose Ramos-Horta, and Oscar Arias Sanchez, the former president of Costa Rica.
- Retired soccer player Roberto Baggio wins World Peace Award - Nov 10, 2010
- Dalai Lama calls for a world free of war - Nov 13, 2010
- Lech Walesa wishes success to Mitt Romney - Jul 31, 2012
- Obama congratulates former E. Timor military chief Ruak on election victory - Apr 24, 2012
- Global outcry forces Iran to cancel stoning of adulterous woman - Jul 09, 2010
- Will South Africa grant visa to Dalai Lama? - Sep 18, 2011
- South Africa slammed for denying visa to Dalai Lama - Oct 04, 2011
- World congratulates a 'humbled' Obama on Nobel win (Lead) - Oct 09, 2009
- Israeli nominee for Peace Nobel wants to be removed from list - Feb 25, 2010
- Students paint nuclear holocaust - Jul 29, 2012
- Hiroshima marks 65th anniversary of atomic bombing (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
- Douglas to play former US president? - Aug 31, 2012
- After Obama's celebrity welcome in Prague, reality sets in - Jan 17, 2010
- `Upcoming n-summit aims for world without nuclear weapons' - Mar 19, 2012
- Zardari wants India-like peaceful nuke cooperation from Japan - Feb 22, 2011
Tags: asia pacific economic cooperation, east timor president, economic cooperation summit, federick, fitting venue, hiroshima hiroshima, jose ramos horta, keynote address, lech walesa, mikhail gorbachev, nobel peace laureates, nobel peace prize, nobel winners, oscar arias sanchez, pacific economic cooperation, president mikhail gorbachev, president of costa rica, summit washington, world war ii, yokohama japan