No verdict yet in Indian American student’s spycam trialMarch 16th, 2012 - 11:11 am ICT by IANS
New York, March 16 (IANS) A New Jersey jury ended the second day of deliberations in the trial of an Indian American accused of using a webcam to spy on his gay roommate without reaching a verdict.
The jury in New Brunswick has deliberated for about 9 1/2 hours so far on the case of former Rutgers University student Dharun Ravi. It’s scheduled to resume Friday.
Ravi, now 20, faces 15 criminal charges, including invasion of privacy and bias intimidation, a hate crime, which carry a potential jail time of up to 10 years.
His freshman-year roommate, Tyler Clementi, jumped to his death from the George Washington Bridge in September 2010, just days after Clementi’s intimate encounter with another man.
Jurors have 12 days of testimony from about 30 witnesses to consider. They are working their way through a verdict sheet that calls for them to render decisions of either guilty or not guilty on 35 different questions related to the 15 counts.
On Sep 19, 2010 Ravi is alleged to have briefly spied on Clementi and a man known only as M.B. for a few seconds with Molly Wei, a dorm mate who was a resident across the hall from him. Ravi is charged with making a second attempt to spy on them two days later.
- Jury deliberates in Indian student spying case in US - Mar 15, 2012
- 30-day jail for Indian student Dharun Ravi; no deportation (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Mystery man testifies in Dharun Ravi's trial - Mar 03, 2012
- Indian American student to go on trial for spying on roommate - Feb 24, 2012
- Indian American student pleads not guilty to hate crime - May 24, 2011
- Friend testifies against Indian-American student in webcam spying case - Feb 28, 2012
- Indian-American student indicted in roommate's suicide - Apr 21, 2011
- Witness testified against Indian-American to escape charges: Defence - Feb 29, 2012
- Dharun Ravi found guilty in webcam spying case - Mar 16, 2012
- Found guilty, Indian American student faces deportation - Mar 17, 2012
- Indian American student was 'uncomfortable' with gay roommate - Mar 02, 2012
- Before going to jail, Dharun Ravi apologises - May 30, 2012
- Lawyer wants charges dropped against Indian-American student - Aug 12, 2011
- Dharun Ravi is just a kid: Defence lawyer - Mar 14, 2012
- Rutgers University Repudiates Any Fault For The Tragic Suicide Of Tyler Clementi - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,