No talks with extremists: BenazirNovember 14th, 2007 - 3:00 am ICT by admin
Commenting on the violence in the Swat region of Waziristan Province, Benazir said the Musharraf regime had allowed the situation in the region to deteriorate over the last five years.
“Private armies are being formed in the wake of the government’s wrong policies,” the Daily Times quoted Benazir, as saying.
She further said that violence in the tribal areas and in the Swat region would spread unless any decisive action is taken.
“It’s moving into settled areas like Swat where several members of our paramilitary forces have lost their lives, and I feel very sad that in the last years we were not able to address this problem,” the former Prime Minister said.
Benazir said she has not yet taken a decision to meet President General Pervez Musharraf.
As far as the forthcoming general elections are concerned, she said, “I see the election of 2007 as a political turning point in the history of Pakistan. It is essential that power is transferred from dictatorship in a smooth manner.”
Benazir also visited the family of a PPP supporter who had lost his life when suicide bombers attacked her homecoming rally on October 18.
She condoled with the family of Nizamuddin Sammo and promised them financial assistance from the PPP, the daily reported. (ANI)
- Benazir killing probe almost complete: Gilani - Dec 28, 2011
- Benazir Bhutto's assassins arrested: Malik - Mar 26, 2011
- Pakistan remembers Benazir Bhutto - Dec 27, 2011
- PPP a party of the masses, says Pakistani PM - Jun 25, 2011
- Musharraf will have to face Pak court in Benazir assassination case: Babar Awan - Feb 09, 2011
- Pakistan's political crisis hints at possibility of change - Jan 05, 2011
- Benazir's 'assassin' being made Pakistan's Deputy PM: Qureshi - May 01, 2011
- Bhutto case: US journalist becomes witness - Sep 10, 2011
- Gilani rejects trust vote as Zardari returns home (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Musharraf the 'murderer' of Benazir Bhutto: PPP Secy Gen - Oct 06, 2010
- Aseefa to pick up slain mother's flag: Zardari - Dec 28, 2011
- "No regrets" over 'adequate' security provided to Benazir: Musharraf - Sep 30, 2010
- Musharraf and his men behind Bhutto killing: Pakistani scribe - Feb 17, 2011
- Musharraf to return home Jan 25 or 27 - Jan 06, 2012
- Pak FIA told to produce Musharraf in court on March 26 - Mar 19, 2011
Tags: benazir, decisive action, extremists, former prime minister, forthcoming general, general elections, general pervez musharraf, geo news, history of pakistan, homecoming rally, musharraf regime, paramilitary forces, ppp, president general, private armies, settled areas, swat, tribal areas, violence, waziristan