No takers for world’s first gay beerFebruary 20th, 2011 - 4:40 pm ICT by ANI
Brisbane, Feb 20 (ANI): The launch of world’s first beer specifically targeted at gay drinkers has been branded ’silly’.
“Having a beer that was specifically ‘gay’ would be like dictating to gays what they should do. I think it’s a bit silly, really,” Brisbane Times quoted Neil McLucas, a long-standing gay bar proprietor and outspoken member of Brisbane’s LGBT community, as saying.
“And if you made a beer a ‘gay’ beer, well, I can’t imagine many men would be caught dead drinking it,” he said.
Meanwhile, Lion Nathan’s James Tait said the ‘next generation’ beer represented by their Summer Bright lager was proving popular.
“You want to be very inclusive in terms of how you market to social groups rather than being very specific.
“It’s hard to see why someone would pick a beer based on their gender or sexuality - people drink a beer because they like the taste and the brand resonates with them,” he said.
Paul Donaldson of the Carlton and United Breweries said, “There’s a risk of looking at a market and think, ‘great, we’ll launch a targeted beer’, but history would suggest that can often be a poor move because people feel patronised.”
“Most beers that have ever targeted females have failed because females think, ‘hang on, I want a legitimate beer just as much as any guy does’.
“If you look at the latest VB stuff it’s evolved from just being about a hard earned thirst to being a real beer for real blokes and that’s about as far as we can take it,” he said. (ANI)
- Mexican brewery produces first gay beer - Feb 17, 2011
- Kingfisher was official beer at New York tennis tourney - Jul 27, 2012
- Foreign liquor bullish about prospects in Punjab - Sep 19, 2009
- 'Breakfast Beer' set to be launched in NZ horrifies alcohol watchdogs - Apr 04, 2011
- Indian, foreign firms eye growing Indian gay market - Jul 03, 2011
- Brewer creates Vindaloo beer, offal ale & bacon beer - Dec 16, 2010
- China world's largest beer consumer - Aug 09, 2012
- Beer is no longer thirst quencher of Aussies - Feb 22, 2011
- Australian men becoming 'too soft' - Sep 05, 2010
- Pakistan brewery 'to give Indian beers a run for their money' - Jan 06, 2011
- Oz firms develop first beer that can be consumed in space - Mar 01, 2011
- Steroid-packed beer contains Olympic banned substances - Jul 26, 2012
- IPhone app that lets you 'scan and taste' beer! - Nov 15, 2010
- Goa wants slice of LGBT tourism pie - Oct 19, 2011
- Bollywood celebs slam Azad's comments on MSM - Jul 05, 2011
Tags: beers, blokes, brisbane, carlton and united breweries, earned thirst, females, gay bar, having a beer, james tait, lager, launch, lgbt community, lion nathan, many men, next generation, outspoken member, paul donaldson, proprietor, sexuality, social groups