‘No Syrian crisis settlement without Russia, China’April 28th, 2012 - 9:23 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 28 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The crisis in Syria is impossible to settle if the international community ignores the positions of Russia and China, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has said.
“I believe there has been understanding recently that the crisis may not be settled if the positions of Russia and China are ignored,” Lavrov told the Rossiya 24 TV channel.
According to UN estimates, more than 9,000 people have been killed in Syria since the outbreak of a popular uprising against President Bashar al-Assad in March last year.
Russia and China have twice vetoed UN Security Council resolutions on Syria over what Russia said was a pro-rebel bias, but supported UN envoy Kofi Annan’s peace plan, which Damascus also backed.
“Our Western partners are constantly speaking of the necessity to ensure supremacy of law in each separate country, and we do not argue with that,” Lavrov said.
“This is in our interests, we are actively dealing with this. Our leadership is taking specific steps in that direction,” the Russian minister said.
He said the supremacy of law principle should not be ignored in international affairs.
“There is the UN Charter, international law embodied in other universal documents, and these documents should be observed,” Lavrov said.
A ceasefire, part of Annan’s peace plan, came into force in Syria April 12, although there have been reports of numerous violations of the truce by both government and opposition forces.
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- More attacks in Syria after arrival of UN observers: Assad - May 17, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- US, Russia continue Syria discussions - Jun 15, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- US team visits Moscow over Syria crisis - Jun 08, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil war: Russia - Apr 21, 2012
- Putin to meet Annan to discuss Syria crisis - Jul 16, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
- Syria crisis should be resolved constitutionally: Putin - Jun 20, 2012
- No arms to Syria opposition: France - Apr 20, 2012
- Russia to discuss Syria with Iran - Jun 12, 2012
Tags: bashar al assad, ceasefire, damascus, foreign minister, international affairs, kofi annan, opposition forces, outbreak, peace plan, president bashar, ria novosti, rossiya, russian minister, security council resolutions, sergei lavrov, truce, tv channel, un security council, un security council resolutions, western partners