No relationship unless SMS in 36 hours of first dateOctober 20th, 2011 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 20 (IANS) If you have dated someone but are still waiting to receive his or her text message even after one-and-a-half day, it’s better not to nurture hope of another romantic outing.
A survey says after a first date on a Saturday night, if it gets past 11.48 a.m. Monday without a text or call then there’s not much chance of a second outing, the Daily Express reported.
Modern communications means sticking to the so-called three-day rule - the amount of time to wait after a date before getting in touch without appearing desperate - is likely to leave you on the shelf.
The LoveGeist survey, commissioned by the company behind dating site Match.com, found the average wait is now half this time - just 1.52 days - and the most likely moment is 11.48am on Monday.
Kate Taylor, Match.com’s relationship expert, said: “The three-day rule might have worked when all we had were landlines, but technology has revolutionised how we date.
“When everybody takes their mobile phone everywhere, waiting three days to get in touch just makes you look snooty or, worse, like you have run out of credit.
“The best thing about the new 1.5 day rule is that we don’t have to wait around for three whole days worrying ‘are they into me’?”.
“If you like someone and want another date the best thing to do is send a brief, charming text asking if they’d like to meet up again, or call them. Keep it short and very sweet.”
And when it comes to who does the asking, traditional gender roles in dating still hold true, with 22 percent of the women waiting to be contacted first compared to just five percent of men.
- Wilde struggling with technology - Jul 31, 2011
- Parrikar still hooked to 'Nayak'-like solutions (Goa Newsletter) - Jun 16, 2012
- One in 10 end relationship with text message - Jan 18, 2012
- Social networking 'leads to sex faster' - Jan 25, 2011
- Facebook couples 'end up in bed quicker' - Jan 27, 2011
- Jenny McCarthy opts for online dating - Nov 22, 2011
- 80pc Brits won't date someone who doesn't like their pooch! - Feb 12, 2011
- (After 12) For life without a cellphone - dial in (Feature) - Dec 02, 2011
- Young Brits prefer Facebook for staying in touch - Sep 17, 2011
- Survey: Social Networking Leads to Sex Faster - Jan 26, 2011
- Men likelier to commit faster than women: Survey - Feb 04, 2011
- What makes men tick and what winds them up? - Apr 10, 2011
- What makes men tick and what winds them up - Apr 10, 2011
- Miami 'best online dating city in US' - Sep 03, 2010
- Match.com to screen for sex offenders - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: amount of time, daily express, dating site, first date, half day, kate taylor, landlines, london, match, mobile phone, modern communications, relationship expert, saturday night, sms, text message, traditional gender roles