No proof that Assange encouraged leaks, says WikiLeaksFebruary 10th, 2011 - 5:55 pm ICT by ANI
Washington/London, Feb.10 (ANI): Investigators in the United States are believed to have failed to find evidence to go ahead with the prosecution of Julian Assange, the head of the whistle-blowing WikiLeaks, for encouraging the leak of secret government documents.
Furious officials and US Congressmen have called for Assange to be tried for “inducing” the disclosure of diplomatic cables by Bradley Manning, a US army private.
Manning, 23, is being held at a military base in Virginia on suspicion of leaking the official secrets, which have been reported by The Daily Telegraph.
However, lawyers for the FBI and the US Department of Justice have not found evidence that Assange told Manning to hand WikiLeaks the files, according to reports.
They may be forced to try to prosecute the WikiLeaks chief for conspiracy, a case that would be harder to prove and at odds with their statements that Assange took advantage of the young soldier.
It is thought the investigators found no evidence linking Assange directly with Manning. He has maintained that he had no communication with the soldier. (ANI)
- Wikileaks investigators fail to link Assange to prime suspect Bradley Manning - Jan 26, 2011
- US targets Twitter to trap Assange over 'secret diplomatic cables' revelations - Feb 15, 2011
- End witch-hunt against WikiLeaks: Assange urges US - Aug 19, 2012
- WikiLeaks faces 'very aggressive' investigation by US: Assange - Dec 18, 2010
- Security lapse behind US army private's secret cable transfer to WikiLeaks - Jan 31, 2011
- WikiLeaks founder 'sends out 100,000 copies of secret files as insurance' - Dec 04, 2010
- Bradley Manning treatment called 'illegal and unconstitutional' - Apr 11, 2011
- Julian Assange's mom in Ecuador to seek son's asylum - Jul 29, 2012
- Wikileaks founder Assange accuses US lawmakers of calling for his "assassination" - Jan 31, 2011
- Britain doesn't know who it is dealing with: Ecuador - Aug 19, 2012
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange could be charged under US Espionage Act - Nov 30, 2010
- US intelligence officer busted for leaking classified info online - Jun 08, 2010
- WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange Appears On CBS's '60 Minutes' - Jan 31, 2011
- WikiLeaks to auction its co-founder's stuff on eBay - Sep 17, 2011
- Assange claims he has got secret files on Murdoch - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: congressmen, conspiracy, daily telegraph, department of justice, disclosure, fbi, investigators, julian assange, leaks, london feb, military base, official secrets, prosecution, secret government documents, soldier, suspicion, us army, us department of justice, whistle, wikileaks