No proof any Mumbai gunman was Briton: BritainNovember 29th, 2008 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 29 (IANS) The British foreign office has said it has so far found no evidence to back claims that some of the gunmen behind the Mumbai terrorist strikes had links to Britain. The foreign office said it had conducted a probe after reports came in from India suggesting some of the gunmen had links with Leeds, Hartlepool and Bradford in England.
The foreign office said in a statement: “We have spoken to Indian authorities at a high level and they have said there is no evidence that any of the terrorists either captured or dead are British.”
The Leeds-based counter-terrorism unit also said the speculation linking the attackers with Bradford was unfounded.
A statement from counter-terrorism officers said: “At this stage we are not in receipt of any intelligence or information linking the events in India to our area.”
Government sources said security services, working with overseas partners, will continue to look at any potential links of the attackers to Britain.