No progress in n-inspection talks with Iran: IAEAJune 9th, 2012 - 9:26 am ICT by IANS
Vienna, June 9 (IANS) No progress could be made in talks with Iran for finalising a deal to allow greater access to its disputed nuclear programme, Xinhua quoted the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) as saying.
After holding talks here with Ali-Asghar Soltanieh, Iranian envoy to the IAEA, Herman Nackaerts, the IAEA deputy director general for safeguards Friday said: “There has been no progress…This is disappointing.”
He said no date for a follow-on meeting on the matter had been fixed.
The IAEA had been pressing Iran for a deal that would allow its inspectors immediate access to Iran’s Parchin military site southeast of Tehran.
According to media reports, the IAEA received reports of Iran testing explosives which could be used to set off a nuclear charge.
Denying such reports, Iran insisted access to Parchin would only be granted if Iran and the IAEA agree on certain conditions and steps.
“We are ready to remove all ambiguities and prove to the world that our activities are exclusively for peaceful purposes and none of these allegations (of seeking a bomb) are true,” Soltanieh told reporters.
“But we need time and patience and a quiet environment” for talks, he added.
- Iran, IAEA to hold talks in May - Apr 28, 2012
- Iran's talk with IAEA constructive: Iranian envoy - Aug 25, 2012
- IAEA officials to meet Iranian delegation Friday - Aug 22, 2012
- Iran invites IAEA inspectors to visit n-sites - Dec 22, 2011
- Enter dialogues 'without pre-condition', Iran urged - Mar 08, 2012
- Iran produces 70 kg high-grade enriched uranium - Oct 18, 2011
- Iran to allow IAEA to visit its military base - Mar 06, 2012
- 'IAEA resolution not to stop Iran's nuclear programme' - Nov 20, 2011
- IAEA to send high-level team to Iran - Nov 18, 2011
- IAEA team arrives in Iran - Jan 29, 2012
- No agreement reached with Iran over nuclear issue: IAEA chief - Feb 22, 2012
- IAEA to meet Iran over access to n-site - Jun 04, 2012
- IAEA wants Iran to comply without delay on n-issue - Sep 14, 2012
- IAEA demands access to Iranian military site - Sep 10, 2012
- Iran criticises IAEA for leaking its scientists' identity - Nov 19, 2011
Tags: ali asghar, allegations, ambiguities, atomic energy agency, bomb, deputy director, explosives, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, international atomic energy agency iaea, nuclear charge, peaceful purposes, quiet environment, safeguards, soltanieh, talks with iran, tehran, time and patience, vienna, xinhua