‘No possibility of holding Pak general elections in near future’November 14th, 2007 - 8:29 am ICT by admin
“There is no constitutional obligation on the government to hold the elections now, and that the Constitution in abeyance allowed the extension of the tenure of the assemblies for one year without any notification,” the sources added.
The officials said that none of the emergency provisions of Article 232 of the Constitution would be applicable for this emergency since the November 3 Provisional Constitutional Order clearly states that the Constitution is held in abeyance.
Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf had informed the ruling coalition about the possibility of emergency, and had also taken them into confidence, the sources said.
Meanwhile, a high-level meeting held at Prime Minster Shaukat Aziz’s residence on Sunday evening had decided to take stringent measures against all those who created problem for the administration.
“The meeting had decided to deal sternly with all elements creating problems for the government in the implementation of its agenda,” the daily quoted sources, as saying. (ANI)
- Pak SC accepts 'contempt of court' petition against Musharraf, Shaukat Aziz - Dec 03, 2010
- Bangladesh constitution to restore independence proclamation - Feb 15, 2011
- Lahore Court postpones hearing of petitions against Musharraf to Nov 1 - Oct 19, 2010
- Pak Chief Justice to decide if Musharraf should be prosecuted for defying SC order - Feb 03, 2011
- Congress readies to pick presidential candidate - May 30, 2012
- 'Incumbent SGPC president to run affairs of body' - Mar 30, 2012
- Army doesn't have answers to Pakistan's problems: Daily - Jul 14, 2012
- No 'c' word in Indian Army's lexicon (Comment) - Apr 07, 2012
- Apex court notice on plea on Rajya Sabha polls in Delhi (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Pak judiciary not at war with executive: Justice Ramday - Oct 19, 2010
- Non-bailable warrant for Musharraf in Bugti assassination case - Aug 16, 2012
- Pakistani PM hints at early elections - Feb 20, 2012
- PCB in talks with ICC for preliminary hearing against tainted trio before upcoming series - Oct 03, 2010
- Pakistan court seeks Musharraf for Bugti killing - Nov 01, 2011
- Congress top brass meets, presidential nominee likely next week - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: abeyance, coalition, constitution, constitutional obligation, emergency provisions, general elections, president pervez musharraf, prime minster, shaukat aziz, six months, stringent measures, tenure