No move to derail nuke power development plans, says China

March 26th, 2011 - 2:03 pm ICT by ANI  

Beijing, Mar. 26 (ANI): China’s largest nuclear plant operator - the China National Nuclear Corp (CNNC), has said that Japan’s nuclear crisis should not derail its plan to develop its own nuclear power industry.

“China should not change its development plan in the nuclear power sector,” the China Daily quoted Pan Ziqiang, director of the Science and Technology Commission at the CNNC, as saying.

He added: “China has a sound record in nuclear safety. We have never had a nuclear incident beyond level two.”

“China will not change its policy in developing the nuclear power industry,” Sun Qin, president of CNNC, said during a visit to Qinshan nuclear power plant in Haiyan county in Zhejiang province, China’s first domestically developed nuclear facility, on Thursday.Earlier this month, China’s National Nuclear Safety Administration ordered existing facilities to begin safety checks in the wake of the Japanese incident.

The checks included location adaptability to external incidents such as floods, earthquakes or any extreme natural disasters as well as the reliability of the emergency power supply, which are all the possible factors that might cause an event similar to that in Japan.

China’s State Council decided to halt new approvals of nuclear projects on March 16.

Despite this, the country is likely to start building a nuclear power plant next month in Shandong province, using fourth-generation technology.

China currently has six nuclear power plants in operation, located along the country’s eastern and southern coasts. The country is also considering building several inland nuclear stations in provinces such as Hubei, Hunan, Jiangxi, and Jilin, in addition to Chongqing municipality. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe