No instructions for UNSC meet on Libya: Medvedev’s aideApril 27th, 2011 - 8:32 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 27 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian President Dmitry Medvedev gave no instructions to call an emergency meeting of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) for discussions on the NATO-led military operation in Libya, his aide said.
NATO has been enforcing a UN resolution to protect civilians in Libya since mid-March. The alliance has stepped up air strikes around Tripoli and four other major cities in recent days.
“At the moment, the president gave no instructions to initiate an emergency Security Council meeting on Libya,” presidential aide Sergei Prikhodko told journalists.
Prikhodko’s statement came hours after report by Libyan state-run JANA news agency that Tripoli urged Russia, a permanent UN Security Council member, to call the meeting.
Earlier Tuesday, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin sharply criticised NATO’s military actions in Libya, saying the North African state was being illegally destroyed by “so-called civilised society”.
- Putin slams NATO on Libya attacks - Apr 27, 2011
- US, France, Britain want Russia to mediate in Libya: Kremlin - May 27, 2011
- Russia sets conditions on peacekeeping mission to Syria - Feb 14, 2012
- Gaddafi told endgame is near: Medvedev's envoy to Africa - Jun 14, 2011
- US pledges $40 mn to Libya for arms stockpile safety - Oct 19, 2011
- Medvedev, Hu to discuss economic ties Thursday - Jun 16, 2011
- Putin says 'dumbfounded' over NATO operation in Libya - Apr 28, 2011
- Russia, China to cooperate on Middle East, North Africa - May 06, 2011
- NATO campaign aimed at ousting Gaddafi - Russian NATO envoy - May 25, 2011
- Moscow calls for political pressure on Syria to end violence - Jun 22, 2011
- Libya to honour UN resolution if NATO ends air strikes: Russia - May 17, 2011
- Libya seeks Moscow's role in peaceful settlement to conflict - Apr 25, 2011
- Medvedev opposes Libya-style UN resolution on Syria - Jun 20, 2011
- `Unrest in Middle East threatens Russia's oil interests' - Apr 06, 2011
- Medvedev rebuts Putin over Libya (Lead) - Mar 22, 2011
Tags: air strikes, civilised society, council member, dmitry medvedev, emergency security, jana news agency, libya, major cities, mid march, military actions, military operation, nations security council, ria novosti, russian president, russian prime minister, tripoli, un security council, united nations security, united nations security council, vladimir putin