No Indian player in World Twenty20 men’s teamJune 22nd, 2009 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 22 (IANS) No Indian player found a place in the World Twenty20 men’s team while Rumeli Dhar was the only one from the country to feature in the women’s team, announced by a select group of experts chosen by International Cricket Council (ICC) Monday.
Defending champions India had a forgettable outing in the World Twenty20, losing all three matches in the Super Eights. Even the in-form Yuvraj Singh failed to make the cut in the 12-member team, showcasing the best Twenty20 players of the world. Pakistan skipper Younis Khan was named the leader of the side.
Indian women’s team fared better than the men’s, reaching the semi-final where they lost to England. All-rounder Dhar was the sole Indian in the team led by Charlotte Edwards of England.
World Twenty20 teams are (in batting order):
Chris Gayle (West Indies), Tillakaratne Dilshan (Sri Lanka), Jacques Kallis (South Africa), AB de Villiers (South Africa), Younus Khan (Pakistan, captain), Dwayne Bravo (West Indies),
Shahid Afridi (Pakistan), Kamran Akmal (Pakistan, wicketkeeper), Wayne Parnell (South Africa), Umar Gul (Pakistan), Ajantha Mendis (Sri Lanka).
12th man: Lasith Malinga (Sri Lanka)
Shelley Nitschke (Australia), Charlotte Edwards (England, captain), Claire Taylor (England), Aimee Watkins (New Zealand), Sarah Taylor (England, wicketkeeper), Suzi Bates (New Zealand),
Lucy Doolan (New Zealand), Rumeli Dhar (India), Laura Marsh (England), Holly Colvin (England), and Sian Ruck (New Zealand).
12th player: Eshani Kaushalya (Sri Lanka)
–Indo-Asian News Servics
- Women cricketers will strive to draw crowds in World T20 - May 05, 2010
- Indian women lose to New Zealand in World T20 - May 07, 2010
- Injury prone Jerome Taylor to play in SPL - Jul 06, 2012
- Top performers named in provisional squads for ICC Womens World Cup 2009 - Jan 13, 2009
- Panel selects ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 team of the tournament - Apr 03, 2011
- Sachin, Gambhir nominated for ICC Awards - Aug 26, 2011
- Vinay Kumar lone new face in T20 World Cup squad (Lead) - Mar 26, 2010
- Black Caps set bench mark for batting powerplay - Mar 14, 2011
- India face South Africa in ICC Champions Trophy opener - Aug 21, 2012
- Indian eves beaten by New Zealand in T20 World Cup - May 07, 2010
- Jhulan to lead India in first two ODIs against England - Feb 15, 2010
- IPL-4: Little-known Christian top buy; veteran Jayasuriya unsold (List of players auctioned) - Jan 09, 2011
- S.Africa to host first ICC Women's Cricket Challenge - Aug 06, 2010
- Kenya's 69 is the fifth lowest in World Cup - Feb 20, 2011
- Chanderpaul back as No.1 Test batsman - Apr 29, 2012
Tags: ab de villiers, ab de villiers south africa, ajantha, chris gayle, claire taylor, dhar, dilshan, dwayne bravo, international cricket council, jacques kallis, kamran akmal, laura marsh, malinga, mendis, pakistan captain, sarah taylor, shahid afridi, umar gul, wicketkeeper, younis khan