No Indian hand in Lahore attack, reiterates Sri Lanka

April 10th, 2009 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS  

Colombo, April 10 (IANS) Surprised at the Lahore police chief’s claim of “an Indian hand” in the attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team last month, Sri Lanka Friday reiterated that there was “no Indian involvement” in the terror strike that left six players wounded.
“Our Foreign Minister Rohitha Bogollagama had clearly said last month there was no Indian involvement in the attack on our cricketers in Lahore. We continue to maintain that position and there is no change in that,” a Sri Lankan foreign ministry official told IANS Friday when asked about the fresh reports from Lahore.

Lahore’s police chief Pervez Rathore Friday said: “With the help of the security agencies, we have made much progress and our investigations are continuing. But one thing I can tell you is that there is strong evidence of an Indian hand.”

India has rubbished this suggestion.

A group of 12 young terrorist ambushed and sprayed bullets and fired rocket-propelled grenades at a coach carrying Sri Lankan players to the Gadafi international stadium to play on the third day of the second and last Test against the host Pakistan March 3.

Six players and the team’s assistant coach were injured. Six Pakistani police officials escorting the bus carrying the players and two civilians were killed in the attack that shook the entire cricketing world.

Addressing a media conference here March 9, Sri Lanka’s Foreign Minister Bogollagama firmly ruled out allegations of Indian hand in the attack and said Sri Lanka has “conveyed this position to Pakistan”.

Pointing out that India has been helping the island nation in the fight against terrorism, Bogollagama, however, said that the involvement of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in the attack could not be ruled out.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |