No evidence of Baitullah threatening BenazirNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:26 am ICT by admin
Requesting anonymity, they pointed out that Baitullah Mehsud, in the rare statements that he has issued till now, had never made any such threat.
His spokesman, Zulfiqar Mehsud, too, had not issued any threat against Benazir Bhutto.
Pro-MMA Senator Maulana Saleh Shah, who was reported to have made a statement about Baitullah Mehsud’s plan to ‘welcome’ Benazir Bhutto upon her return to Pakistan with a suicide bombing, has denied it.
The threat was first reported in a section of the press quoting Maulana Saleh Shah, member of the Senate from South Waziristan.
An English language newspaper in a front page story quoted Shah as saying that Baitullah Mehsud would ‘welcome’ Benazir Bhutto with a suicide bombing due to her provocative utterances against the Taliban and other militants.
The News quoted Shah as saying that the reporter in question had accepted his mistake and apologised.
“I was quoted out of context. I didn’t say all that was published in my name,” he claimed.
Sources said that Shah, who belongs to Maulana Fazlur Rahman’s JUI-F, made some comments about the possibility of suicide bombings targeting Benazir Bhutto once she returned to Pakistan.
Shah has proved a timely source of information for the media on a number of occasions about the events in South Waziristan. Recent reports emanating from South Waziristan, however, suggest that Shah has lost some trust. (ANI)
- Elders of Mehsud tribe ask Pak Govt to stop operation in Waziristan - Aug 06, 2009
- JUI-F slams Pak Govt for non-provision of enhanced security to Fazlur Rehman - Apr 01, 2011
- Mehsud ordered Benazir's assassination on behest of ex-Madrassa students: FIA report - Jun 19, 2010
- CIA, provincial govt blamed for Swabi suicide attack targeting Pak politician - Mar 31, 2011
- JUI-F blames 'Raymond Davis network' for suicide attacks on Fazlur Rehman - Apr 01, 2011
- Five in race for Pakistan PM's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- PPP asks JUI-F chief to withdraw from PM race - Jun 22, 2012
- JUI-F chief offered to mediate between US, Taliban during 2007 India visit: WikiLeaks - Apr 01, 2011
- Anyone killed in US drone attacks is a martyr: Fazlur Rehman - Aug 08, 2009
- Life attacks on JUI-F chief reveal gulf between militants and sympathetic Pak politicians - Apr 01, 2011
- 'Pakistan army will face suicide attacks in North Waziristan' - Jun 12, 2011
- Leaders like Fazlur Rehman vulnerable, says Pakistani daily - Apr 01, 2011
- Pak puts economic blockade to turn Mehsud tribesmen against Baitullah - Jun 18, 2009
- Pakistan opposition names PM candidates - Jun 21, 2012
- Militants slaughtered 18 of their own wounded men: Pakistani army - Jul 01, 2009
Tags: anonymity, benazir bhutto, fazlur rahman, front page story, maulana, militants, mma, pakistan, saleh shah, she returned, source of information, south waziristan, suicide bombings, timely source, zulfiqar