No compensation for man cleared of murderFebruary 19th, 2009 - 12:34 pm ICT by IANS
Wellington, Feb 19 (DPA) A New Zealand man, who spent 10 years in prison for a murder the Court of Appeal found he did not commit, was denied compensation Thursday after a lawyer’s report that he probably had carried out the crime.
Justice Minister Simon Power told reporters the lawyer who investigated the case found that Rex Haig had “not established his innocence on the balance of probability”.
Haig was convicted in 1995 of murdering Mark Roderique, a crewman on his fishing boat, the previous year. He spent 10 years in prison before his conviction was quashed by the Court of Appeal, which found an “evidential basis” to suggest that another crewmate, David Hogan, who is Haig’s nephew, might have been the killer.
Haig asked for compensation from the government, which appointed senior lawyer Robert Fisher to investigate the case before agreeing to a payout.
Power said in releasing his findings, “Fisher found it was more probable than not that Haig participated, together with his nephew David Hogan, in the murder of Roderique”.
He said the lawyer found that Haig was not a credible witness and had motive and opportunity to commit the murder.
Haig told the New Zealand Herald that he was disappointed “but I’m used to them going against me, so it’s no big shock”.
- Uncle named as killer of a boy killed in 1984 - Aug 01, 2012
- US man wrongly jailed for 18 years gets $1.4 mn - Jul 01, 2011
- Wrongly jailed for 18 years, US man gets $1.4 mn (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Godhra train carnage sentencing March 1 (Second Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- We won't pay blood money, say Indians on UAE death row (Third Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- Godhra train burning case sentencing March 1 (Third Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- Man targets his wives for insurance money - May 20, 2011
- Hudson's brother-in-law guilty for murder - May 12, 2012
- Acquittal of five in Shivani Bhatnagar murder case contested (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Focus On Billy Wayne Cope In NBC Documentary - Jul 10, 2010
- Dharun Ravi seeks webcam spy case dismissal - May 02, 2012
- TV executive murder case convict refused bail - Dec 20, 2011
- Procession, candle-light vigil against Neeraj Grover judgement (Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Minor killer jailed 14 years ago set free - Mar 16, 2011
- Wesley Snipes' lawyers file fresh appeal against his 3-year prison term - Dec 18, 2010
Tags: 10 years, balance of probability, conviction, court of appeal, credible witness, david hogan, fishing boat, innocence, justice minister, lawyer, motive, nephew david, new zealand herald, previous year, rex haig, robert fisher, shock, wellington