No charges against driver for killing 6 Indo-CanadiansAugust 2nd, 2008 - 8:56 am ICT by IANS
Vancouver, Aug 2 (IANS) An Indian-origin driver, who mowed down six members of an Indo-Canadian wedding party in the city of Abbotsford near here last year, will face no charges, according to police. Nineteen people were also injured when 71-year-old Bachittar Brar rammed his pick-up vehicle into the wedding procession from behind on an unlit, rural road on the night of August 2007.
Police said investigations into the tragedy found no evidence of dangerous driving or negligence on the part of the elderly driver.
According to police, about three dozen people - followed by a vehicle with flashing lights - left the bride’s home at 10.30 p.m. for a pre-wedding party at the groom’s place.
On their way back half an hour later, they were not followed by the illuminated vehicle. From a side street when these people walked onto the unlit road, they were hit from behind by the pick-up vehicle.
Police said their investigations showed no use of alcohol or drugs by the driver. They also said the driver suffered no fatigue and was driving well below the speed limit of 60 km on rural roads.
Among those killed on that fateful night were Damanpreet Kang, 13; Rubal Gill, 21; Bhupinder Clair, 25; Ripudaman Dhillon, 32; Harjinder Sanghera and Satwinder Mahil, both 57.
It was one of the worst tragedies in Canada in which so many Indo-Canadians lost their lives.
Tags: aug 2, bhupinder, canadian wedding, canadians, city of abbotsford, dangerous driving, elderly driver, fateful night, flashing lights, half an hour, indian origin, indo canadian, negligence, rubal, rural road, rural roads, speed limit, wedding party, wedding procession, worst tragedies