No arms to Syria opposition: FranceApril 20th, 2012 - 7:06 am ICT by IANS
Paris, April 20 (IANS/RIA Novosti) France has no intention to supply arms to the Syrian opposition and is ready to discuss the UN and Arab League’s peace plan, French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe has said.
“I am convinced that if there are several hundred observers in Syria who are able to move about the country freely, the situation may change,” he said.
“If the mission fails we will discuss further action. So far we are not considering the question of arms supplies,” said Juppe.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov warned reporters against one-sided, simplified coverage of the situation in Syria.
“Do not pretend that everything depends on Russia, which is supposed to have influence on (Syrian President) Bashar al-Assad. That is unworthy of politicians as well as of journalists.
“The situation depends on those who have influence over opposition groups. This includes the United States, France, Britain, Turkey and Persian Gulf states,” he said.
Lavrov urged all countries supporting UN special envoy Kofi Annan’s plan to work towards ensuring its success.
Lavrov criticised attempts by some countries to “privatize” internationally-backed efforts to end the more than a year long crisis in Syria. The statement came after a meeting on Syria held by a group of Arab League states in Qatar, some of whose participants raised doubts over the Syrian government’s commitment to the Annan peace plan.
More than 9,000 people have been killed in Syria since the outbreak of a popular uprising against Assad last March, according to UN estimates.
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- Russia to discuss Syria with Iran - Jun 12, 2012
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil conflict: Lavrov - Jun 10, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- France offers communications gear to Syrian opposition - Jun 16, 2012
- Assad departure no solution to Syrian problems: Russia - Mar 28, 2012
- Syrian ceasefire first Step of Annan's plan: US - Apr 13, 2012
- Russia denies changing its stance on Syria - Jun 22, 2012
- Putin to meet Annan to discuss Syria crisis - Jul 16, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: alain juppe, arab league, bashar al assad, britain turkey, doubts, france paris, french foreign minister, kofi annan, observers, opposition groups, outbreak, peace plan, persian gulf states, president bashar, ria novosti, sergei lavrov, syrian government, syrian opposition, syrian president bashar al, uprising