NJIT professor projects 2011 Major League Baseball winners using mathApril 2nd, 2011 - 6:10 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 2 (ANI): NJIT’s baseball guru Bruce Bukiet has predicted that the 2011 Major League Baseball winners would be Philadelphia Phillies, St. Louis Cardinals and San Francisco Giants, while the Atlanta Braves will take the wild card slot in the National League (NL).
For over a decade, Bukiet, an associate professor and associate dean, has applied mathematical analysis to compute winning games for each Major League Baseball Team.
This year, he said that in the American League (AL), the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox should tie for first place in the East, with both making the playoffs, while the Detroit Tigers will edge out the Minnesota Twins in the Central Division and the Texas Rangers will repeat as winners in the West. His predictions aim to promote the power of math. He wants young people to see how math can be fun, how it can clarify issues and how it might make a great college major.
Bukiet bases his predictions on a mathematical model he developed in 2000.
In the NL East, the race for first place should be tight with the Phillies repeating as division champions, winning 92 games and the Braves just two games behind at 90, with both teams making the playoffs. In the Central Division, the St. Louis Cardinals appear poised to tie the Phillies for the best record in the NL, beating the Cincinnati Reds, the 2010 Central Division winners by 6 games. In the West, the World Series winners, the San Francisco Giants, should repeat as champs with 89 wins, with the Colorado Rockies and Los Angeles Dodgers just 2 and 3 games back, respectively.
The Yankees and Red Sox, both with 97 wins, the best in baseball, should dominate the AL East, finishing well ahead of their competition, with both teams making the playoffs. (ANI)
- World Series 2010 Has Been Scheduled - Oct 23, 2010
- A number of upsets happen in the Major league baseball playoffs - Oct 10, 2011
- Major league baseball playoffs - Oct 03, 2011
- Yankees & Phillies compete in the 2009 World Series - Oct 29, 2009
- MLB playoffs: Yankees thrash Detroit Tigers - Oct 05, 2011
- Tony La Russa's Cardinal's get their 8th division title - Sep 28, 2009
- 2011 ALDS to kick off on Friday - Sep 30, 2011
- Formula to predict baseball success - Mar 02, 2010
- Tony La Russa talks on the David Letterman show - Nov 01, 2011
- Pitcher Jake Westbrook Traded To St. Louis Cardinals - Aug 01, 2010
- Daniel Nava Goes For A Grand Slam - Jun 13, 2010
- Curtis Granderson Traded Over To The Yankees - Dec 09, 2009
- Los Angeles Dodgers Manager Joe Torre Not To Return Next Season - Sep 18, 2010
- Cardinals paint the town red with their World Series parade - Oct 31, 2011
- Phillies Wins Phillies-Dodgers Game 5 And NLCS Series - Oct 22, 2009
Tags: associate dean, atlanta braves, baseball guru, boston red sox, bruce bukiet, cincinnati reds, colorado rockies, detroit tigers, division champions, division winners, los angeles dodgers, major league baseball, major league baseball team, minnesota twins, new york yankees, philadelphia phillies, san francisco giants, st louis cardinals, texas rangers, world series winners