Nine survive military helicopter crash in ColombiaDecember 5th, 2011 - 11:51 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, Dec 5 (IANS/EFE) Nine people - five soldiers and four crewmen - survived the crash of a military helicopter in the northern Colombian province of Cordoba, the army said.
The Black Hawk helicopter went down Saturday in the San Jeronimo mountains, army aviation division commander Gen. Javier Rey said.
“The crew and the passengers are fine,” Rey said.
The helicopter was providing support to a brigade fighting the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, guerrilla group, drug traffickers and other criminal organizations, the general said.
The accident occurred after the helicopter refueled, Rey said, adding that the aircraft had problems “with a crosswind” that forced it to the ground.
The crew’s skill was key in preventing the helicopter from being completely destroyed, the general said.
The helicopter was damaged in the accident, but it can be repaired and return to service, Rey said.
- Colombia's FARC frees 10 captives - Apr 03, 2012
- Car bombing injures 29 soldiers in Colombia - Feb 04, 2011
- Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiers - Jul 12, 2011
- Colombian troops kill rebel blamed for 84 deaths - Apr 18, 2012
- 2,000 land mines found in Colombia in 2011 - Sep 19, 2011
- Colombian rebels say they are holding French reporter - May 07, 2012
- FARC rebels release French reporter - May 31, 2012
- Colombian rebels recruited teenagers, says activist - May 19, 2012
- 2 children die in Colombia landmine blast - Apr 20, 2011
- 17 cocaine labs destroyed in Colombia - Jan 26, 2012
- 13 Colombian rebels killed in airstrike - Nov 16, 2010
- Colombian rebels say they're holding French reporter - May 02, 2012
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- Colombian TV host held over rebel ties - Nov 16, 2010
- Colombian rebels set condition for freeing French reporter - May 08, 2012
Tags: armed forces, army aviation, aviation division, black hawk helicopter, bogota, criminal organizations, crosswind, division commander, drug traffickers, efe, farc, guerrilla group, hawk, helicopter crash, military helicopter, mountains, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, san jeronimo