Nine killed in tractor accident in NepalJanuary 26th, 2009 - 12:08 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, Jan 26 (DPA) At least nine people were killed and nearly two dozen others injured in a tractor accident in south-western Nepal, the police said Monday.The accident happened in Kapilvastu district, about 200 km south-west of here, early Monday morning.
The tractor, which was tugging a trailer carrying passengers, lost control, overturned and crushed the victims, the police said.
Nine people died instantly while 23 others injured in the accident were rushed to hospital, many in serious condition, the police said.
Most of the victims were pilgrims on their way to a river confluence in the district to take a holy dip as part of a Hindu ritual.
The police said they were investigating the cause of the accident.
Hundreds of people are killed each year in Nepal in road accidents, blamed on overcrowding and disregard for traffic safety rules.
- 41 killed in Uttar Pradesh accident - Aug 22, 2011
- At least 41 killed in northern India road accident - Aug 22, 2011
- 15 Indians killed as jeep falls into Nepal river (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- 15 Indians killed in Nepal accident (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Seven killed in Himachal accidents - Feb 09, 2012
- 20 schoolkids injured in Rajasthan accident - Jul 26, 2012
- Four killed as oil tanker hits tractor-trolley - Oct 06, 2011
- Pakistan: Seven passengers die after bus driver falls asleep - Apr 12, 2012
- 35 pilgrims killed in Nepal bus accident (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- 29 killed in Iran bus accident - Sep 15, 2010
- Four killed in Uttar Pradesh road accident - Dec 05, 2011
- 36 Indian pilgrims die in Nepal bus crash (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Seven killed in two Bengal road accidents - May 28, 2012
- Passenger bus overturns in southeast Kenya, killing 12 - Apr 02, 2012
- One pilgrim killed as bus overturns in Punjab - Jun 17, 2011