Nine killed in shootout between Guatemala drug gangsMarch 27th, 2008 - 11:36 am ICT by admin
Guatemala City, March 27 (IANS) At least nine people have been killed and seven wounded in a shootout between groups of international drug traffickers in eastern Guatemala, EFE news agency reported Thursday. The shootout occurred Tuesday on the highway to the Atlantic coast, near the Valle Dorado resort, police spokesman Faustino Sanchez said.
“Apparently, this was a confrontation between international groups of drug traffickers. They used assault rifles and grenades. The initial report is of nine people dead, seven wounded, two vehicles burned and six (people) captured, among them two Mexicans,” he said.
Dozens of police officers were combing the area where the shootout took place looking for “more than 12 people” who are said to have participated in the clash.
“Our units have captured six men who participated in the confrontation, seizing from them six AR-15 assault rifles and six automatic pistols,” Sanchez said.
The shootout occurred in Zacapa province, on the border with Honduras, in an area that security forces say is used by international drug organisations to smuggle drugs.
- Gunmen kill eight at Guatemala disco - Jan 23, 2012
- Four shot dead in Mexican bar's parking lot - Mar 09, 2011
- Shooting at Honduran detention center kills 9 - Oct 16, 2011
- Zetas leader shot down in northern Mexico - Jan 25, 2011
- Top Colombian drug lord held - Nov 29, 2011
- 13 shot dead inside bar in Mexico - Apr 22, 2012
- Marijuana packages seized in Mexico had Homer Simpson labels - Oct 19, 2010
- Phony news crew smuggles $9.2 mn into Nicaragua - Aug 28, 2012
- Over 100 trafficked people rescued in Mexico - Nov 15, 2010
- Venezuela arrests top Colombian drug trafficker - Jul 07, 2010
- 89 die in Central America rains - Oct 17, 2011
- Nine killed in drug related attacks in Mexico - May 23, 2011
- 9 die in shootout in Mexico - Feb 11, 2011
- Assassins linked to 70 murders arrested in Mexico - Dec 07, 2009
- Suspect in slaying of Argentine singer nabbed - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: assault rifles, automatic pistols, clash, confrontation, dozens, drug gangs, drug traffickers, eastern guatemala, efe news agency, faustino, grenades, guatemala city, initial report, international groups, mexicans, police officers, police spokesman, security forces, six men, valle dorado