Nine killed in Moscow river boat accidentJuly 31st, 2011 - 11:56 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 31 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Nine people were killed when a pleasure boat collided with a barge and sank in Russia’s Moskva river here Sunday.
The accident occurred at about 1.30 a.m., when the small-sized vessel collided with a barge in the Moskva river across the Luzhniki sports centre in the Moscow city. As a result, the vessel sank with nine passengers on its board, including captain Gennady Zinger. All of them died in the accident, RIA Novosti reported.
Earlier in the day, officials of the emergency ministry said eight people had drowned and one person was missing.
Seven passengers, including a Turkish national, however, were rescued.
The vessel, which was registered in Russia’s easternmost province of Chukotka, was carrying a total of 16 people, including the captain, while it had permission to carry no more than 12 passengers.
The investigative committee has launched a criminal probe into the violation of water transport safety and operation rules.
The boat was brought to surface later Sunday.
The accident took place less than a month after two-deck cruise ship Bulgaria carrying 201 people capsized on the Volga river, killing 122 passengers, including children. Only 79 people could be rescued.
The twin-deck Bulgaria sank near the village of Syukeyevo in the Kansko-Ustinovsky district of the republic of Tatarstan.
- 'Maximum punishment for captains of vessels passing sinking ship' - Jul 12, 2011
- Over 100 people missing, 80 rescued as ship sinks in Russia - Jul 11, 2011
- 88 missing as ship sinks in Russia - Jul 10, 2011
- Toll in Russia ship capsize rises to 54 (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Toll in Russian ship wreck rises to 83 - Jul 12, 2011
- Nine dead after pleasure boat sinks in Moscow - Aug 01, 2011
- Russia bans ships similar to sunken Bulgaria riverboat - Jul 17, 2011
- Russian sunken ship toll rises to 120 - Jul 25, 2011
- Hundreds missing as migrants' boat sinks off Indonesia - Dec 18, 2011
- Pilot dies in chopper crash in Russia - Apr 07, 2012
- 26 die as boat sinks in Bangladesh (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Four dead, 220 missing as boat sinks in Bangladesh - Mar 13, 2012
- 20 die in Bangladesh boat capsize - Apr 21, 2011
- Russia begins lifting sunken ship from Volga - Jul 22, 2011
- Hundreds of Libyan refugees feared dead after ship sinks off Libya - May 10, 2011
Tags: barge, boat accident, criminal probe, cruise ship, easternmost province, gennady, investigative committee, luzhniki, missing seven, moscow city, moscow river, moskva river, pleasure boat, ria novosti, river boat, sized vessel, sports centre, transport safety, volga river, water transport