Nine killed in Indonesian Air Force plane crash (Lead)June 21st, 2012 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, June 21 (IANS) At least nine people were killed and 35 injured Thursday when an Indonesian Air Force Fokker F27 transport aircraft crashed into a residential area while approaching the Halim Perdanakusuma military airport in Jakarta, officials said.
Indonesian Air Force spokesman Azman Yunus said six out of seven servicemen on board died, RIA Novosti reported citing VIVAnews.
Two adults and a child died in houses in the residential area which the plane hit, Indonesian armed forces spokesman Iskandar Sitompul told Detik.com.
Sitompul identified the seven servicemen on board as pilot Maj. Herry, co-pilot First Lt. Paulus, student Second Lt. Syahroni, Capt. Agus Haryadi, Sgt. Maj. Sipu Mulanto, First Sgt. Mulyadi and First Sgt. Purwanto.
Co-pilot Paulus was the only survivor, but he was in a critical condition, the Jakarta Globe reported citing Kompas.com.
According to VIVAnews, at least 35 injured people from the nearby residential area were brought to hospitals.
The Dutch-made Fokker F27 planes, designed in the mid-1950s, can carry up to 56 passengers.
A huge fireball was seen after the plane hit eight houses, said Sitompul.
- Three dead in Indonesian Air Force plane crash - Jun 21, 2012
- Russian plane carrying 44 people goes missing near Jakarta - May 09, 2012
- Indonesian military plane crash kills 97 (Third Lead) - May 20, 2009
- Russian plane with 44 missing in Indonesia (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Air force rescues eight from stranded boat in Assam - Jun 27, 2012
- Indonesian navy arrests 260 Sri Lankan migrants - Oct 12, 2009
- Rescue workers spot wreckage of small plane on Indonesian mountain - Oct 05, 2012
- Radical Indonesian cleric Bashir arrested on terror charges - Aug 09, 2010
- Dozens feared buried by mudslide in Indonesia - Feb 23, 2010
- Indonesian soldiers charged with torture after killing civilian - Jul 21, 2011
- Helicopter crash in south-central Indonesia kills 2 - Sep 26, 2011
- Flight recorders found in crashed Sukhoi - May 14, 2012
- Russian plane goes missing in Indonesia - May 09, 2012
- Indonesian film on 'menstruating ghost' sparks controversy - Feb 04, 2010
- Drug-laden plane crashes in Honduras - Jul 04, 2012
Tags: agus, air force plane, airport in jakarta, azman, co pilot, critical condition, fokker f27, herry, indonesian air force, iskandar, mid 1950s, military airport, mulyadi, plane crash, residential area, ria novosti, sipu, sitompul, transport aircraft, yunus