Nine killed in Indonesia boat accident (Lead)April 26th, 2009 - 10:48 am ICT by IANS
Jakarta, April 26 (DPA) Nine people have been killed and at least four others missing after a ferry boat sank off Indonesia’s Sumatra island, media reports said Sunday.
The boat was carrying around 60 people when it went down Saturday afternoon in strong winds a kilometre off the Dumai coast in Riau province, detik.com reported citing survivors.
Nine bodies and 43 survivors had been rescued Sunday morning. All the passengers were going to attend a wedding function.
Rescue workers continued the search for at least four people still missing and feared drowned, said Syahrudin, the chief of the Dumai marine police.
More than 300 people were killed when a ferry sank off Sulawesi island in January, and in December 2006 a ferry sank in a storm off the coast of Java, killing more than 500 people.
- Death toll in Indonesian ferry accident rises to 27 - Nov 23, 2009
- Ferry with over 200 people sinks in Indonesia - Nov 22, 2009
- Nine killed in ferry accident in Indonesia - Nov 23, 2009
- Four dead after ferry carrying 240 sinks in Indonesia (Lead) - Nov 22, 2009
- Indonesian Ferry sinks near Sumatra Islands, 9 killed - Nov 23, 2009
- Seven migrants dead in boat capsize off Indonesia - Nov 01, 2011
- 58 dead after boat sinks in Turkey - Sep 07, 2012
- 10 die in Indonesian boat sinking - Aug 09, 2010
- 16 die as Iranian boat sinks - Jan 22, 2012
- 12 feared dead after ferry sinks in eastern China - Aug 17, 2012
- Eight drown as Chinese cargo ship sinks - Feb 18, 2012
- 88 bodies retrieved after Indonesia boat disaster - Dec 22, 2011
- Strong earthquake rocks Indonesia's Sulawesi, causes damage - Apr 25, 2011
- 40 Haitian immigrants drown off Cuban coast - Dec 26, 2011
- Nine killed in Indonesian Air Force plane crash (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012