Nine killed in drug related violence in MexicoNovember 17th, 2008 - 5:30 am ICT by IANS
Tijuana (Mexico), Nov 17 (IANS) At least nine people have been killed in suspected drug related crimes over the past two days in northwestern Mexico, EFE news agency reported, citing officials.According to the attorney general’s office of Baja California province, five people were killed in Tijuana, while three others gunned dwon in in El Rosario, a town south of Ensenada Saturday.
A businessman was also shot dead Friday night, the attorney general’s office said, adding that all the murders were suspected to be carried out by any drug cartel active in the region.
A total of 630 people have been murdered in Baja California state so far this year, according to tallies published by the press and non-governmental organisations.
Mexico has been plagued in recent years by drug-related violence, with powerful cartels battling each other and the security forces, as rival gangs vie for control of lucrative smuggling and distribution routes.
Armed groups linked to Mexico’s drug cartels murdered around 2,700 people in 2007, and the death toll this year has already crossed the 4,500-mark.
The majority of the killings have occurred in the states of Chihuahua, Baja California and Sinaloa.
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- Murders up 145 percent in Mexico over five years - Jul 30, 2011
- Five bullet-riddled bodies found on Mexican highway - Dec 31, 2010
- Mexican city's lone police officer kidnapped - Dec 28, 2010
- At least 20 bodies found in vehicles in western Mexico - Nov 25, 2011
- 13 shot dead inside bar in Mexico - Apr 22, 2012
- Man mistaken for drug cartel boss to sue government - Jan 24, 2011
- 121 Bodies recovered from mass graves in Mexican state - May 06, 2011
- Nine gunned down at Mexican nightclub - Feb 05, 2012
- Mexico arrests drug trafficker wanted for 1,500 murders - Aug 01, 2011
- Seven killed in Mexico violence - Jan 23, 2011
- Soldiers beheaded in Mexico, drug war suspected - Oct 21, 2008
- 16 found murdered in Mexico, drug cartels' war suspected - Sep 30, 2008
- Violence leaves 8,500 orphans in Mexican border city - Feb 25, 2011
- Mexican prison's security chief gunned down - Jul 30, 2012