Nine-day long Kashmir gunbattle kills 13 guerrillas, trooperOctober 3rd, 2008 - 6:28 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Oct 3 (IANS) Thirteen guerrillas and a soldier were killed in a nine-day long gunfight in Jammu and Kashmir that ended Friday - one of the longest gunbattles since militancy broke out in the state in 1989. “A group of heavily armed terrorists was spotted moving from north Kashmir’s Bandipora district towards the Kangan Valley in Ganderbal district Sep 25,” Major General V.S.S. Goudar, general officer commanding (GOC) of the army’s elite counter-insurgency Kilo Force, told a media conference here.
“Troops of 10 Para regiment, and 14th, 5th and 24th Rashtriya Rifles were moved on foot and by air and contact was established with the terrorists Sep 25.”
Maj Gen Goudar said the gunfight between the troops and the guerrillas occurred at an altitude ranging up to 15,000 feet.
“The gunfight occurred in the Harmukh mountain range where snowfall occurs almost on a daily basis. Thirteen terrorists have been killed in the gunfight and their identity will be established after the mopping up operation in the area comes to an end.
“Eleven AK-47/56 rifles, 27 magazines, 287 rounds of ammunition and two satellite phones have been recovered from the possession of the slain terrorists,” the GOC said.
One soldier of the army was also killed in the gunfight between the security forces and the guerrillas - one of the longest since armed violence started here in 1989.
- Guerrilla killed, soldier wounded in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Major infiltration bid foiled, 12 Lashkar men killed (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- 13 terrorists killed in Kashmir five-day long fierce - Oct 03, 2008
- Army foils major infiltration bid, five guerrillas killed - Aug 20, 2011
- Three LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- Nine infiltrators killed, gunfight still on - Aug 30, 2010
- Two LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir - Feb 04, 2012
- Two LeT guerrillas killed in gunfight - Jul 23, 2011
- Five guerrillas killed in Kashmir - Jul 07, 2012
- Troops gun down guerrilla in Kashmir forest - Sep 02, 2011
- Slain Hizbul commander behind 30 civilians' killings: Army - Oct 14, 2011
- 10-hour Kashmir gunfight ends, five guerrillas killed (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Four guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - Sep 16, 2010
- Gunfight in Kashmir - Sep 01, 2012
- Guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jul 06, 2012