Nine Al Qaeda suspects held, civilian killed in IraqJuly 11th, 2008 - 11:40 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, July 11 (DPA) US forces Friday detained nine suspected members of the Al Qaeda in Iraq group in separate raids in Iraq, while an Iraqi civilian was killed and two others injured in a US air operation in the south, according to the US military. The suspects were captured in raids in Baghdad and the northern cities of Bayji and Mosul, a US military statement said.
A suspected leader of a bombing cell within the Al Qaeda in Iraq group was among the detainees.
In the southern city of Nasiriyah, a joint US-Iraqi air operation targeting the house of a suspected member of a “special group” trained in Iran was carried out, US military spokesman Abdel-Latif Rayan told the Voices of Iraq (VOI) news agency.
The joint forces shot dead a man in self-defence when he pointed a weapon at them. Two men were injured in the incident, the spokesman said.
The US military uses the term special groups to refer to members of Shia armed groups believed to be trained and armed by Iran.
Earlier, an Iraqi security official told VOI that an Iraqi civilian was killed in a US air operation in the centre of Nasiriyah, 380 km south of Baghdad.
- Four killed in Iraq violence - Jul 19, 2011
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- Iraqi Security Forces kill and arrest suspected senior al-Qaeda in Iraq leaders - Apr 21, 2010
- Iraqi Security Forces arrest five suspected Al-Qaeda terrorists - Jan 16, 2010
- Four al-Qaeda in Iraq members arrested in Mosul - May 08, 2010
- Suspected al-Qaeda in Iraq member captured - Jun 04, 2010
- Five killed, 17 injured in Iraq attacks - Aug 10, 2010
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- Three suspected terrorists captured in Iraq - May 19, 2010
- Iraqi Security Forces arrested six-suspected al-Qaeda terrorists - Mar 05, 2010
- Suspected Al-Qaeda leader arrested in west Mosul, Iraq - Jun 10, 2010
- Eight killed in Iraq suicide attacks - Apr 13, 2010
- Eight people killed, 27 injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Jun 11, 2010
- Six, including medic, killed in Iraq attacks - Aug 11, 2010
- Al Qaeda names new leader in Iraq - May 16, 2010
Tags: al qaeda, al qaeda in iraq, baghdad, bayji, civilian killed in iraq, detainees, dpa, iran, iraqi security, military spokesman, news agency, northern cities, rayan, security official, self defence, special group, two men, us air, voices of iraq