Nikkei falls nearly 4 percent on Sony’s projected lossJanuary 23rd, 2009 - 2:27 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Jan 23 (DPA) Japan’s key Nikkei 225 Stock Average extended its losses Friday to a two-month low after Sony Corp announced a projected record operating loss for fiscal 2008.The Nikkei index tumbled 306.49 points, or 3.81 percent, to close at 7,745.25, and the broader Topix index of all first section issues was also down 22.36 points, or 2.81 percent, at 773.55.
Sony said it expected to suffer an operating loss of 260 billion yen ($2.9 billion) and a net loss of 150 billion yen because of the rise in the yen’s value and the global economic downturn, which has hurt the company’s sales.
For the week, the Nikkei fell 5.9 percent, and the Topix declined 5.42 percent.
On currency markets at midday (0300 GMT), the dollar traded at 88.86-91 yen, down from Thursday’s 5 p.m. quote of 89.32-35 yen.
The euro traded at $1.2963-68, down from late Thursday’s quote of $1.3002-05, and at 115.25-30 yen, down from 116.16-20 yen.
- Tokyo stocks end higher on bargain-hunting - Jan 14, 2009
- Tokyo stocks fall on concerns over US financial sector - Mar 03, 2009
- Nikkei hits four-month low on Wall Street fall - Mar 06, 2009
- Tokyo stocks lose 4 percent on Sony's expected operating loss - Jan 13, 2009
- Tokyo stocks up on bargain buys (Lead) - Nov 25, 2009
- Nikkei closes below 8,000 on financial worries (Lead) - Jan 21, 2009
- Nikkei closes at 26-year low on US economic concerns - Mar 10, 2009
- Nikkei closes at 26-year low on economic concerns - Mar 09, 2009
- Sony announces $3.1 billion annual loss - May 27, 2011
- Sensex jumps 3 percent; metal, banking stocks rally - Oct 07, 2011
- Nikkei loses 4 percent on renewed economic worry - Jan 08, 2009
- Sensex closes 343 points lower on poor industry output numbers - Dec 12, 2011
- Sensex loses 221 points in volatile trading (Weekly market review) - Oct 08, 2011
- Tokyo stocks mixed in morning trading - Nov 25, 2009
- Sensex posts first weekly fall in 2012; slumps 366 points (Weekly market review) - Feb 25, 2012