Nigeria files bribery charges against Cheney in LNG plant scandalDecember 8th, 2010 - 3:09 pm ICT by ANI
Lagos, Dec 8 (ANI): The Nigerian anti-corruption agency has reportedly filed charges against former US Vice-President Dick Cheney for his alleged involvement in a bribery scandal involving Halliburton, the company he once headed.
Cheney was Halliburton’s chief executive before becoming Vice-President to George W Bush in 2001.
The BBC quoted the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) as saying that it had filed 16 charges against Cheney and two other executives of the company.
The bribe scandal concerned the construction of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) plant in southern Nigeria.
KBR last year pleaded guilty to paying 180 million dollars (115 million pounds) in bribes to Nigerian officials before 2007, when it was a subsidiary of Halliburton. The firm agreed to pay 579 million dollars (372 million pounds) in fines related to the case in the US.
KBR and Halliburton have now split, and Halliburton had said earlier this month that it was not connected with the case against KBR. It had also denied involvement in the allegations, and added that a raid on its office last week by Economic and Financial Crimes Commission officials was “an affront against justice”, the report said.
But Nigeria, along with France and Switzerland, has conducted its own investigations into the case.
Cheney’s lawyer, Terence O’Donnell, said US investigators had “found no suggestion of any impropriety by Dick Cheney in his role of CEO of Halliburton”.
“Any suggestion of misconduct on his part, made now, years later, is entirely baseless,” he added. (ANI)
- Dick Cheney faces bribery charges in Nigeria over LNG plant scandal - Dec 03, 2010
- Nigeria drops corruption charges against Cheney after oil firm agrees to pay fine - Dec 16, 2010
- Dick Cheney Is Now Feeling Better: Liz Cheney - Jun 28, 2010
- India to help boost Nigeria's air defences - May 17, 2012
- FIFA probing Argentina-Nigeria friendly - Jun 04, 2011
- Kerala engineer dies in Nigerian air crash - Jun 04, 2012
- Four foreigners kidnapped by pirates in Nigeria - Aug 05, 2012
- Airtel ranked best operator by Nigerian telecom regulator - May 11, 2012
- Airtel Nigeria to help combat fake drugs - Dec 16, 2011
- Ex-aide of Powell says Bush 'knew Guantánamo prisoners were innocent' - Apr 09, 2010
- Two Nigerians held for money exchange agent's murder - Sep 06, 2011
- Indian firm joins Nigeria's polio battle (With Images) - Feb 23, 2012
- Dick Cheney claims in memoir that Colin Powell took cheap shots at him during Bush era - Aug 29, 2011
- Nigerian plane with 153 aboard crashes - Jun 03, 2012
- Bush's faith in history's judgement beginning to come around, says Cheney - Nov 17, 2010
Tags: affront, bribe, bribery charges, bribery scandal, bribes, commission officials, dick cheney, efcc, financial crimes, gas lng, george w bush, halliburton, impropriety, liquefied natural gas, million dollars, president dick cheney, southern nigeria, us vice president, vice president dick, vice president dick cheney