Nicaragua seizes over two tonnes of cocaineMarch 6th, 2012 - 11:00 am ICT by IANS
Managua, March 6 (IANS/EFE) Nicaraguan naval units seized more than two tonnes of cocaine in an operation on the country’s southern Caribbean coast, the military said Monday.
The drugs were confiscated Sunday at a spot 35 km from the town of Bluefields, Rear Adm. Roger Gonzalez told a press conference here.
Patrol units pursued a fast boat and the smugglers abandoned the vessel and fled, leaving behind the drugs.
“We’re talking about more than two tonnes of cocaine seized,” Gonzalez said, adding that the drugs were contained in 95 sacks of 25 packets each. He called the operation “one of the strongest blows” to drug trafficking in Nicaragua in the past three years.
Gonzalez said the four people who abandoned the boat and managed to get away may be linked to the Aragon outfit, which saw a previous cocaine consignment intercepted in the same area two weeks ago.
- Colombian navy seizes tonne of cocaine - Sep 12, 2012
- Phony news crew smuggles $9.2 mn into Nicaragua - Aug 28, 2012
- Colombia seizes 2.2 tonnes of cocaine - Sep 13, 2011
- Nicaragua turns to Chinese firm to finance canal project - Sep 08, 2012
- Four tonnes of cocaine seized in Panama - Sep 26, 2010
- 1,045 kg cocaine seized in Costa Rica - Mar 26, 2010
- 2,900 kg of cocaine seized in Panama - Jan 25, 2011
- US Coast Guard seizes ship with 3.5 tonnes cocaine - Aug 06, 2010
- 17 cocaine labs destroyed in Colombia - Jan 26, 2012
- Dominican Republic seizes 1.5 tonnes of cocaine - Mar 26, 2012
- 2.3 tonnes of marijuana seized in Mexico - Oct 09, 2011
- Cocaine packed in toys, candy seized in Nicaragua - Dec 27, 2010
- Honduran police find burnt aircraft - Dec 20, 2011
- Mexican navy seizes 2.4 tonnnes of cocaine - May 04, 2010
- US Coast Guard seizes 1.4 tonnes of cocaine - Jun 08, 2010