Nicaragua braces for hurricane AlmaMay 30th, 2008 - 1:07 pm ICT by admin
Managua, May 30 (Xinhua) Nicaragua has set up 995 emergency shelters in response to an alert of hurricane Alma Friday in the country, the Civil Defence department said. The coastal area is highly vulnerable to the impact of rain and strong winds from hurricane Alma, the chief of Civil Defence, Mario Perezcassar, said.
The alerts were sent out in the provinces of Rivas, Granada, Masaya, Carazo, Leon and Chinandega, Mario said at a press conference.
The authorities have advised the local residents to stock up essential items in preparation for the emergency.
The emergency actions were ordered Thursday after the US National Hurricane Centre in Miami declared a hurricane alert for Nicaragua.
Alejandro Rodriguez, director general of the Nicaraguan Institute of Territorial Studies, asked the country to prepare itself for the worst.
According to forecasts by the institute, Alma will hit Nicaragua about 16 km south-west of Leon.
Schools were closed in the Pacific region and flights bound for the Caribbean were suspended.
- Ricky Martin defends gay rights - Oct 16, 2011
- Nicaragua exceeds one mn foreign tourists for first time - Dec 30, 2010
- 23 die as hurricane rains hit Central America - Oct 13, 2011
- Phony news crew smuggles $9.2 mn into Nicaragua - Aug 28, 2012
- Nicaragua turns to Chinese firm to finance canal project - Sep 08, 2012
- Nicaraguan diplomat found dead in NY apartment - Sep 24, 2010
- Google Maps error leads to Nicaraguan invasion of Costa Rica island - Nov 06, 2010
- Heavy rains kill at least 23 in Nicaragua - Oct 24, 2008
- Nicaragua seizes over two tonnes of cocaine - Mar 06, 2012
- Three Nicaragua cops dishonourably discharged - Sep 03, 2012
- Eruption underway at Nicaragua's San Cristobal volcano - Sep 07, 2009
- Nicaraguan women seek to restore legal abortion - Sep 29, 2010
- Record breaker Xavi gives Barcelona 1-0 win in Malaga - Oct 26, 2011
- Nicaragua ready to shelter Gaddafi - Aug 24, 2011
- Nicaragua rejects Honduras' claims of troops buildup - Jul 06, 2009
Tags: authorities, braces, carazo, caribbean, chinandega, civil defence, coastal area, defence department, director general, emergency actions, emergency shelters, granada, hurricane alert, hurricane alma, mario, masaya, national hurricane centre, nicaragua, strong winds, xinhua