New Zealand thrash Ireland by 83 runs in Super Eight (Lead)June 12th, 2009 - 12:03 am ICT by IANS
Nottingham, June 11 (IANS) Aaron Redmond hammered 63 from 30 balls as New Zealand beat Ireland by 83 runs in a World Twenty20 Super Eight Group F match at Trent Bridge here Thursday.
Winning the toss and fielding, the Ireland bowlers were made to toil hard by the
New Zealand batsmen, who piled on a massive 198 for five in 20 overs. In reply, the Irish were bowled out for 115 in 16.4 overs.
Redmond, who replaced an unwell Jesse Ryder, hit 13 fours during his blitzkrieg innings. He did the bulk of scoring in his 51-run opening stand with captain Brendon McCullum (10).
McCullum was dismissed in the sixth over but that hardly seemed to affect Redmond. He scored freely, adding 40 runs for the second wicket with Martin Guptill (45 not out). His entertaining innings was halted in the 10th over after he was trapped leg before by Alex Cusack (2-43).
However, Guptill and Scott Styris (42) kept the scoreboard ticking with their 61-run stand. Kyle McCallan (2-33) emerged the most succesful bowler for Ireland.
Ireland’s batsmen never look to pose a threat and fell in quick succession. Nathan McCullum finished with figures of 3-15 for New Zealand.
- World Twenty20: New Zealand beat Ireland in Super Eight - Jun 11, 2009
- New Zealand inflict 97-run defeat on Canada (Roundup) - Mar 13, 2011
- Scoreboard: New Zealand vs Ireland, Super Eight, Group F, World Twenty20 - Jun 11, 2009
- Narine revives Windies with late wickets - Jul 26, 2012
- McCullum, Taylor take New Zealand to 358/6 (Lead) - Mar 13, 2011
- Kiwis hope to make the Wright impact - Feb 14, 2011
- New Zealand set 316 target for India in Bangalore ODI - Dec 07, 2010
- Franklin hits unbeaten 72 as New Zealand make 224/9 - Dec 04, 2010
- New Zealand set Ireland 199 run target - Jun 11, 2009
- Shillingford nabs five but Kiwis battle to draw - Jul 23, 2012
- James Franklin left out of New Zealand Cricket contract - Jul 01, 2011
- Series remains alive after West Indies crash - Jul 12, 2012
- New Zealand outplay Zimbabwe by 10 wickets (Roundup) - Mar 04, 2011
- Ryder steers New Zealand to modest 221 for 8 (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- Wright is the man with a World Cup plan for the Black caps - Feb 04, 2011