New Zealand Sikhs challenge club’s turban banJune 17th, 2010 - 8:45 am ICT by IANS
Wellington, June 17 (DPA) The Sikh Council of New Zealand announced Thursday it would take legal action against an Auckland club that will not admit turban-wearing Sikhs to its premises because it bans all forms of headwear.
The Manurewa Cosmopolitan Club voted to confirm the “no hats” policy Sunday six months after prominent local Sikh Karnail Singh was refused entry to a function in his honour because of his turban.
The club premises had been hired for a private function to honour his work as a volunteer visitor to the elderly, a town ambassador and community gardener.
After Sunday’s vote, one club member told the New Zealand Herald, “Many felt that once you change the rules to let in people who wear turbans, then the next thing is that we will also have to let people who wear hoodies and balaclavas into the premises.”
The Sikh Council’s secretary Verpal Singh said it would seek legal assistance from the Human Rights Commission for a court ruling that the ban infringed on the Human Rights Act.
Mediation organised earlier this year by the commission failed to resolve the issue and Singh said the council felt it had to reluctantly take legal action on behalf of the entire Sikh community. “We cannot let it stand that we are being excluded.”
Verpal Singh said the courts, ex-servicemen’s clubs and aviation security all allowed turbans.
Race Relations Commissioner Joris de Bres told the paper, “This is a simple matter of recognising religious diversity and, in particular, religious beliefs.
“We have police who wear turbans. This is uncaring and disrespectful.”
- Kiwi Race Relations boss brands club's ban on Sikh turban "uncaring and disrespectful" - Jun 17, 2010
- 'Disappointed' Sikhs to take legal action against New Zealand club over turban ban - Jun 16, 2010
- Kiwi club's turban ban decision "a wake-up call" for Sikhs in the country: NZSC - Jun 15, 2010
- Sikh's turban ban not racism: New Zealand club - Jun 21, 2010
- New Zealand club ready to fight legal action over Sikh turban ban - Jun 21, 2010
- Turban ban stirs up fresh storm in New Zealand - Dec 17, 2009
- Sikhs outraged as Kiwi club refuses to lift turban ban - Jun 14, 2010
- Sikh body wants action against Ajay Devgn - Aug 29, 2012
- New York Sikh, Muslim workers allowed religious headwear - May 31, 2012
- Raise headgear issue with Obama, Sukhbir Badal urges PM - Nov 08, 2010
- Religion-based protection for workers in New York - Sep 03, 2011
- Sikhs in turbans can now serve Washington police - May 17, 2012
- New Zealand Hindu Council faces flak for uniting other Indian religions - May 03, 2010
- France violated Sikh's right to wearing turban: UN - Jan 13, 2012
- Britain delays new EU airport security rules over Sikh concerns - Jul 01, 2010
Tags: aviation security, club member, club premises, cosmopolitan club, gardener, honour, human rights act, human rights commission, joris, legal assistance, new zealand herald, private function, race relations, religious beliefs, religious diversity, sikh community, sikhs, simple matter, turban, turbans