New Zealand quake toll reaches 155March 1st, 2011 - 4:11 pm ICT by IANS
Christchurch, March 1 (IANS) The toll in the devastating earthquake in New Zealand’s second largest city of Christchurch rose to 155, a media report said Tuesday.Meanwhile, the government has launched a probe into why the Canterbury Television (CTV) building collapsed in last Tuesday’s 6.3 magnitude quake where many bodies are still thought be lying buried in the ruins, the New Zealand Herald reported. Police have revised the official toll to 155.
Prime Minister John Key said Monday that an inquiry will be held to consider safety issues around the collapsed buildings.
“There has to be an inquiry, we have to provide answers about why so many (people) lost their lives,” he said.
- At least 98 now dead in New Zealand quake - Feb 24, 2011
- 25 Chinese missing in New Zealand quake - Feb 27, 2011
- New Zealand quake toll reaches 160 - Mar 02, 2011
- 65 dead in New Zealand quake - Feb 22, 2011
- 238 missing and 78 dead in New Zealand earthquake - Feb 24, 2011
- 5.1 earthquake near New Zealand's Christchurch city - Jul 22, 2011
- New Zealand quake toll is 147 - Feb 27, 2011
- 65 die as quake ravages New Zealand city (Third Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- New Zealand earthquake death toll rises to 123 - Feb 26, 2011
- 65 killed as quake shakes up New Zealand city (Second Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Moderate 5.5-magnitude earthquake shakes Christchurch - Oct 10, 2011
- Kiwi woman "miraculously" rescued from Christchurch quake site - Feb 23, 2011
- New Zealand extends National State of Emergency over Christchurch quake - Mar 01, 2011
- New Zealand quake toll rises to 145 (Second Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- Christchurch quake: National emergency declared as toll reaches 75 - Feb 23, 2011