New Zealand defender comes out of retirement for Confederations CupMay 22nd, 2009 - 5:59 pm ICT by IANS
Wellington, May 22 (DPA) New Zealand called one of its most experienced international footballers out of retirement Friday to join the squad for next month’s Confederations Cup in South Africa following the withdrawal of captain Ryan Nelsen with a calf injury.
Ivan Vicelich, 32, who has 63 caps for the national All Whites, retired from the international scene last year after returning home from eight years in the Netherlands with Roda JC and RKC Waalwijk.
He has kept match fit, captaining Auckland City to victory in the New Zealand Football Championship grand final and the Oceania League last season, winning the club’s player of the year award.
The defender scored a goal when he last played for New Zealand in its 2-0 away win over Fiji in a World Cup qualifying match in October 2007.
“Last year I felt the time was right to retire but the pride of being an All White doesn’t fade, and if the coach says he needs you to do a job for the team, you can’t ignore that,” Vicelich said.
He played alongside Nelsen in New Zealand’s two previous Confederations Cup appearances in 1999 and 2003.
Coach Ricki Herbert said Vicelich’s experience made him the obvious replacement for English-based Nelsen, who is sidelined for at least six weeks with a torn calf muscle incurred during Blackburn Rovers’ match with Chelsea last weekend.
“Ivan’s played over 60 games for the national team, and when you’re up against the best teams in the world you need someone who can not only slot into the environment seamlessly but also add to it,” Herbert said.
The New Zealand-based players in the 23-man cup squad are scheduled to leave for Africa on May 27.
- New Zealand retain squad for Bahrain play-off - Oct 29, 2009
- Underdogs Kiwis hope to create few upsets - May 31, 2010
- New Zealand names squad for World Cup qualifier against Bahrain - Sep 29, 2009
- Krul, Fer withdraw from Dutch squad for World Cup qualifier - Sep 10, 2012
- AZ coach Verbeek gets one-match ban - Mar 21, 2012
- Just getting to the finals is victory for New Zealand (Team Profile) - Nov 28, 2009
- All Whites happy with spoiler role against Italy - Jun 19, 2010
- New Zealand coach insists World Cup hero must play in friendly - Feb 09, 2010
- Feyenoord secure a Champions League prelim's ticket - May 07, 2012
- Rafi replaces Sushil in India's Asian Cup squad (Lead) - Jan 09, 2011
- Boerrigter new face in Dutch squad, Babel makes comeback - Nov 04, 2011
- In another flip-flop, AFC re-registers Bhutia in Asian Cup team (Intro Roundup) - Jan 08, 2011
- Pieters to miss Euro 2012 due to foot injury - May 08, 2012
- Pieters out for season, might miss Euro 2012 - Apr 17, 2012
- Last-minute goal makes new boy Winston Reid a national hero - Jun 16, 2010
Tags: auckland city, calf injury, caps, captain ryan, confederations cup, dpa, fiji, ivan, new zealand football championship, retirement, returning home, rkc, roda jc, ryan nelsen, seamlessly, six weeks, south africa, torn calf muscle, wellington, world cup