New Zealand Cricket CEO regrets Howard’s nomination

July 27th, 2010 - 2:27 pm ICT by ANI  

Wellington (New Zealand), July 27 (ANI): New Zealand Cricket CEO Justin Vaughan has said had he known what the International Cricket Council ’s (ICC) view would be on the nomination of former Australian Prime Minister John Howard for the ICC vice presidency, New Zealand Cricket may not have supported Howard’s candidature.

Howard, jointly nominated by New Zealand and Australia, was rejected by six of the ten Test playing nations.

This has left the two countries with a deadline of August 31 to put forth another candidate.

“In perfect hindsight, if we’d known what the ICC’s position on John Howard was going to be - it is regrettable,” Vaughan said.

“We felt clear messages coming back around John Howard. Australia invested a lot of time into getting Howard to put himself forward for the position, so it’s a sensitive position for them. It’s something that we’ll discuss with them in the next couple of weeks,” The Age quoted Vaughan, as saying.

With New Zealand’s original candidate, Sir John Anderson, refusing to reapply for the job last week, NZC have short-listed their former chief executive Chris Doig and current chairman Alan Isaac, Vaughan said.

“Both those people certainly tick the boxes. I’m not going to go into detail around names. There are some good contenders in New Zealand and we’ll be exploring those with Cricket Australia. It’s really important NZC and CA are on the same page with the new nominee. We’re certainly hoping for a quicker process than last time,” he added. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe