New Yorkers say Ground Zero mosque inappropriateSeptember 24th, 2010 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Sep 24 (IANS) A majority of New Yorkers feel that a mosque and an Islamic centre at the site of the erstwhile World Trade Center was “wrong” and inappropriate and could have been shifted to some other place.
A poll conducted among 751 voters from around New York State during Sep 16-20 by the Quinnipiac University found that 57 percent said building a mosque so close to Ground Zero is “wrong”. Most voters think it was not “appropriate” to put a mosque close to Ground Zero, the New York Post reported Friday.
“There’s a party split: Republicans overwhelmingly say no, Democrats say yes,” Maurice Carroll, director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, was quoted as saying.
Ninety percent Republicans rejected the idea that a mosque near Ground Zero is appropriate, while 50 percent of Democrats said a mosque at the location is ok.
Around 34 percent of Democrats said it is not appropriate, while 63 percent of people not allied to either group say it’s wrong.
But almost all New Yorkers agree that the US’ belief in freedom of religion gives Muslims the right to build the mosque, Carroll said.
Around 80 percent of New Yorkers believe the mosque’s backers have a legal right to build on the site they own near Ground Zero, while 15 percent said they don’t.
But 67 percent of those surveyed said the mosque should be moved voluntarily.
- Most New Yorkers still opposed to proposed 'Ground Zero' mosque: Poll - Sep 25, 2010
- Two-thirds of New Yorkers want mosque moved away from Ground Zero: Poll - Sep 01, 2010
- 71 percent New Yorkers oppose mosque near Ground Zero - Sep 01, 2010
- 'Terrorist-sympathizing imam' behind Ground Zero Mosque: Lazio - Aug 22, 2010
- Ground Zero mosque overshadows 9/11 anniversary - Sep 07, 2010
- Six in ten Americans still think its wrong to build mosque near Ground Zero - Sep 18, 2010
- Sixty-four percent Americans oppose building of mosque near ground zero in Manhattan - Aug 14, 2010
- 56% New Yorkers fear another 9/11 type terror attack: Poll - Sep 11, 2010
- Obama, New Yorkers back Occupy Wall Street - Oct 18, 2011
- Palin says building mosque near Ground Zero is 'unnecessary provocation' - Jul 19, 2010
- 7 in 10 New Yorkers want proposed mosque away from Ground Zero: Poll - Sep 03, 2010
- Six in 10 New Yorkers opposed mosque near Ground Zero - Aug 06, 2010
- 5 in10 Americans think Obama does not deserve second term: Quinnipiac Poll - Mar 31, 2011
- Backing Muslims' right to build centre not an endorsement: Obama - Aug 16, 2010
- New Yorkers Want A New Site For Mosque, Poll Reveals - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,