New York Subway No Pants Day Brings in Hundreds of ParticipantsJanuary 10th, 2011 - 8:32 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Jan 10, (THAINDIAN NEWS) People from all over the city traveling in underground train in New York, took off their skirts and pants casually on Sunday. The reason was that they participated in an event which had people to show their legs spontaneously. It was the 10th anniversary of “No Pants Subway Ride” which took place at Union Square. It displayed some hundreds of passengers in the underground trains in New York who removed their clothing from waist down, although they wore enough clothing on top to combat the extreme cold there. The event was organized by Improv Everywhere.
It was freezing cold outside, but things started warming up at around 2 in the afternoon when people gathered at Maria Hernandez Park at Irving Avenue and Starr Street without their pants. Bushwick resident Shea Glaser said that although people might not be ready to see her in her all new avatar sans her pants, even then she is going to give it a shot. Shea Glaser seems to be pretty fashion conscious even when she is not wearing her lower outer garments, the investigating team of the event found it out. From 3p.m onwards, subway riders at 6 different meeting points all over the city, boarded predetermined subway cars, while they kept themselves engaged in typically normal behavior like reading a magazine. The situation was nearly the same in the train. People shot photos of each others while others expressed their disgust at such a behavior.
After spending a couple of hours in the subway cars, people came to gather at Union Square. However, the party began only after hundreds of Brooklynites gathered in the plaza. A number of participants wore exclusive undergarments of different styles and designs, so as to celebrate the 10th anniversary of “No Pants Subway Ride”. This added to the fun and frolic that took place on this day every year.
- "Star Wars" On New York City Subway - Jul 15, 2010
- 'No Pants Subway Day' takes place in New York - Jan 10, 2011
- 'Improv Everywhere' Entertains The Public With Star Wars Subway - Jul 15, 2010
- Dress modestly or for ease? China eves debate - Jul 13, 2012
- Anne Hathaway's subway ride - Jul 20, 2012
- Woman drops pant after rat runs up her trouser - Jun 12, 2012
- No Pants Day Celebrated In New York City - Jan 11, 2010
- Hundreds injured after subway trains collide in Shanghai - Sep 28, 2011
- New Yorkers bare all on ninth annual No-Pants Day in freezing Big Apple - Jan 11, 2010
- 'Running of the Brides' draws more than 200 at NY department store - Feb 20, 2011
- Kites, feasts, dancing mark Makar Sankranti celebrations (Roundup) - Jan 15, 2012
- Lady Gaga Shocks With Fishnet Outfit At Lollapalooza 2010 - Aug 07, 2010
- 100 Londoners ride Tube in underwear as part of annual No Trousers day - Jan 10, 2011
- Childhood abuse, adversity may shorten lifespan - Aug 15, 2010
- Moscow to mark Colombian poet's birth anniversary - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: 10th anniversary, brooklynites, different styles, disgust, extreme cold, frolic, glaser, improv, maria hernandez, new york subway, outer garments, starr street, subway cars, subway ride, subway riders, trains in new york, undergarments, underground train, underground trains, union square